Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very odd error message on shutdown

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:48 AM

Hi All -
Fixing next doors XP SP3 and it has a Very strange message only on shut down that reads exactly as follows

Press <Enter> + <Right> Key to burn-in off - - - Then it will just keep showing the message while the screen is left on
The screen will then also change from blank to solid colors (Red Green Yellow White Blue Etc Etc)

It has MBAM (just removed a few "PUPs") and MSE that detects nothing as wrong.

I ran Defrag (well overdue) and Deleted Browsing history, as well as removal of a few useless programs and toolbars -

The system runs quite well and it shows 90% Free space now.

Any ideas on this very odd problem ??

Thank You -
EDIT -
I have read it is something to do with the screen, but not sure what -

Edited by noknojon, 30 March 2012 - 02:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:55 AM

FWIW: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.winfuture-forum.de/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D89854&ei=DYJ1T8L-DZKG8QTo44WTBA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DKey%2Bto%2Bburn-in%2Boff%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu%26rlz%3D1I7ADFA_enUS403%26prmd%3Dimvns

Could be a failing monitor, IMO.

Louis

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

sound like its running a burn in test/cleaning of sorts ,and this link has a bit more info ,to turning of the burn in test .

http://www.suggestafix.com/index.php?showtopic=31096

Edited by caperjac, 30 March 2012 - 05:51 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thanks to both of you for those links -
They seem to say it will cease with the "command" - Press <Enter> + <Right> Key - but after doing that a few times it still continues

As it is not a new screen, I will either try the install CD for it, or tell them the screen is shot
I do have a spare good screen that I will test on it today, and if there is no message, I can safely tell them to buy another one :smash:

We still find these new, yet seemingly simple, pop up error messages every day - My first with this one -

Again Thanks hamluis and caperjac - :)

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,980 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

Are you entering the key combination on the monitor itself or the computer keyboard? Burn-in is an internal function of the monitor (for when a new LCD panel is fitted) and is cancelled from the monitor front panel buttons. Sometimes what it means is hold that button combination as the monitor is connected up to the mains.

Edit: just realized, the message is hard-coded into the monitor's firmware, the corresponding front panel buttons might not have those exact names, just that function.

Edited by Platypus, 30 March 2012 - 09:47 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

Burn-in is an internal function of the monitor (for when a new LCD panel is fitted)

I was doing it from the keyboard, as I did not understand the message (same as in the links above)

The screen is by no means new (at least 4 years old) as I noted it was an XP unit
I am looking at my monitor now and see no <Enter> + <Right> Key to press ??

I am aware that there is a Menu key for the monitor, do you think this is what they may mean by Enter ??

Thanks -
<<Edit: just realized, the message is hard-coded into the monitor's firmware,>>
Would this mean a reinstall of the monitor, or ... ... ...

Edited by noknojon, 30 March 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,980 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

there is a Menu key for the monitor, do you think this is what they may mean by Enter ??

Yes, quite likely. If you bring up the monitor's own OSD, the button that moves right through the menu selections, and the one that enters the highlighted selection are the two in question.

The "hard-coded" just meant the monitor firmware calls the buttons those names regardless of what the case design team decided to label the buttons. :)

Edited by Platypus, 30 March 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Thanks -
That will be worth a try -

Regards -

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,980 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hope it helps.

#10 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi -
A very late reply to the answer from Platypus, due to the user being absent for a few days
- IT WORKS - :busy:

The notification is only just that - A notification of a "process" taking part in your screen -
The Enter section refers to the MENU of the screen, then press the "Right" button, also on the screen and it is now gone (for good I hope) -

Lets hope that Google picks this thread and lists it with the others that generally had no completed answer to the problem -

Thank you to all who answered -

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,980 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

Hooray! Glad it's sorted.

Heh, just realized caperjac's link includes one of my old posts on SAF.

#12 noknojon

noknojon
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

:P You almost got it right on SAF, just forgot to mention the keys (buttons) relate to the screen and not keyboard -

Thanks again -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users