Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Stop Working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 youngnova

youngnova

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hey guys i have a problem that's been going on for quite sometime now. My mouse, which is connected to the ps/2 port(the green port on the back of my pc)has stop working and i have no idea why. I thought it was because of a virus(i still think it is)but i installed a new operating system and the problem persist. I started out with Vista but I went and bought windows 7 the other day. I reformatted the hard drive to start clean. None of the files that's on my computer now came from Vista, expect for some pdf's, audio files, and video files that's on my D drive.

I bought a new mouse thinking that this will resolve the problem as well, but it did'nt. My mouse stops working at least once a day. Here's the weird part... everytime it stops working, I have to go into device manager(I have my mouse controls set up on my keyboard so I can still have control of my mouse pointer when my mouse do decide to go out)and click on the mouse and other pointing device tab, then update the driver. Once the driver has been updated, I then have to close the "your driver has been updated" window and then I have to close the "update driver window", and then I'm asked if I would like to restart my computer. I have to always select no. I then have to restart the computer on my own by going into the start menu and restarting it manually. Once my computer restarts, the mouse is working again, until it goes out again.

But if I don't select no at the "do you want to restart your computer" screen(right after I close the "your driver have been updated" screen)and I choose yes, my computer will shut down but once it restarts, my mouse is still not working. It's crazy. I have tried everything. Sometimes my keyboard will stop working as well, although it rarely happens, but sometimes it does. Also, if I unplug the mouse from the computer, then plug it back in,then restart my pc, the mouse will be working again. The red light underneath my mouse was gone before I unplugged it from my pc, but once I plugged it back in, the red light returned. I only tried this once but I didn't have to update the driver like I usaully have to do.

Any advice on what to do? I have a acer computer with windows 7 but Vista came with the computer when I bought it. I have a optical mouse from microinv. My first mouse was a mouse that had the ball underneath it but I can't remember the name but i had the same problem with that one as well, which is the reason why I bought the new one.

Also, my mouse be doing some crazy things. Sometimes it will go off screen and then my browser will click back to the previous window(it done this while I was typing this and i had to start all over). Or options will show up on the screen as if I pressed the right click button when I did'nt. It will also click on links by itself as well. As long as I'm moving the mouse, random stuff will happen. The pointer will also freeze or stop working for a few seconds before it starts working again. I just don't know what to do. Please help.

Edited by youngnova, 29 March 2012 - 09:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

Do you use both PS/2 ports for keyboard and mouse? Have you tried uninstalling, reboot and let windows detect/install the PS/2 mouse driver? Check safemode if the problem persist on the erratic action. A USB mouse is also an alternative.

Tekken

#3 youngnova

youngnova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:01 AM

No I haven't tried uninstalling then rebooting. I thought if I was updating the driver that it was the same as uninstalling and rebooting. I give it a try. Also a friend of mine brought a usb mouse over a few months ago and it worked fine. For some reason it's the mouse that's connected to the green port that seems to only stall out.

#4 youngnova

youngnova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

I just uninstalled the driver and it's still doing the same thing. Any other ideas? Thanks

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Did you reboot after the uninstall, plug the mouse into the computer and see if it finds the driver?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 youngnova

youngnova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

No. I just uninstalled it then rebooted. So you want me to uninstall the driver, restart the computer, then unplug the mouse from the port. Then once I get back to my desktop, I should plug the mouse back into the port and see if the driver get reinstall right?

#7 youngnova

youngnova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

Did you reboot after the uninstall, plug the mouse into the computer and see if it finds the driver?

I just tried your advice and it's still freezing and stalling out. It's weird because when I go to uninstall the driver, it's like it's not uninstalling or something. Instead of the green uninstall loading bar filling up, the restart your computer box pops up before the driver can uninstall and the uninstall loading box disappear before it can attempt to uninstall.

Another thing, when I was installing windows 7, the mouse was working just fine. There was no freezing, no stalling out, no stopping then working, none of that. It was working perfectly fine. But as soon as I got to my desktop, about 10 mins in it started messing up again and it hasn't been working normal since. This is so frustrating. I had a really bad virus on my computer when I had Vista, so I figured buying window 7 would solve the problem. Also, a friend let me borrow his usb mouse a few weeks ago and that was working fine for about 2 weeks but then it all of a sudden malfunctioned. He said he bought it back in 2009 and that it probably got worned out or something. Can some please help me. I'm tired of my mouse cutting out on me in the middle of what I'm doing. Then I have to constantly update the driver and I have to keep restarting my pc and stuff. It happen 3 times today already. It's just crazy.

#8 youngnova

youngnova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Thanks jhayz and jburd1800 for the advice. I finally got this thing up and running. No matter what I did I couldn't get the mouse driver to uninstall. So I went to tweak dot com and downloaded their free software and ran it. Once the tweak software was finished, I went to microsoft's web site and downloaded an optical mouse driver(I have a optical mouse). After I downloaded the driver, I then went into c//windows/system32/drivers and i deleted the mouclass.sys and mouhid.sys. I didn't delete it within the recycle bin, i just deleted it from the drivers folder, then I restarted the computer.

Once my computer restarted I had no mouse pointer. I couldn't see it or anything but I still had the mouse pointer controls(that I mentioned in my opening post)set up on my keyboard. So I logon and went into the recycle bin and restored the mouclass.sys and the mouhid.sys. I restarted my pc again. This time I can see my mouse pointer but it still wasn't working. So I installed the microsoft optical mouse driver, restarted my computer and my mouse has been running normal ever since. This problem has been going on for over 2 years now. I been through two ps/2 mouse and a usb mouse which belonged to a friend of mines. My mouse haven't stalled, skipped, stop moving or did any random stuff since I did this. I'm so glad I got this resolve.

Apparently my old mouse driver was corrupted(don't know why, I installed a new operating system)and it wouldn't uninstall. Once I got it uninstalled and installed the new driver, all has been well. :thumbup2:

Anyway, thanks guys. I'm glad that this problem is finally over. :dance:

Edited by youngnova, 30 March 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#9 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

Glad you got it working...

Edited by jburd1800, 30 March 2012 - 11:05 PM.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users