Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best processor for simple tasks?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 donaldfleming

donaldfleming

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

I have Dell Dimension 1100 desktop computer that is seven years old. At some point I’ll be replacing the base unit with a new one and am considering which one would best fit my requirements.

I will mainly be using the computer to send / receive emails, surf the web, use Word Office software and stream movies.

Dell sells a base unit (Inspiron 570MT). In this regard there are various versions, each with a different AMD processor (AMD Semperon, AMD X2, and AMD X3). Each sells at a different price.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-570/fs

In terms of my requirements, balancing cost and quality, which one of these would be the best buy?

Or should I go for an Inspiron 620MT base unit with an Intel Pentium processor? If so, which particular processor would be the best buy?

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-620/fs

Finally, how many GBs of memory should I buy?

Edited by donaldfleming, 29 March 2012 - 07:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Any of those computers should do just fine, and I would recommend 8gigs of RAM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:33 AM

Personal opinion, avoid the AMD Semprom it is a economy processor.

Questions to ask yourself and decide on:

What display will I be using? Monitor, HDTV?
How will it connect, VGA, DVI, HDMI. Make sure your choice will connect.
is the hard drive big enough?
Would I want a BluRay player or burner rather than DVD?
Will I be doing any gaming?
Would I be better off with a discrete video card rather than built-in, for gaming?
Wired Keyboard/Mouse or Wireless?
Card reader for my camera's cards?
Floppy drive? Some people still use them.
Do I need a parallel port or is my printer USB / Ethernet based.
Do I need wireless to go with my Wireless router or am I going wired?
If wireless 802.11 G or 802.11 N?
Is there room for the hard drives form my old computer if I want to re-use them.
Expandability, usually low on Name Brand computers.

Other brands to look at? HP/Compaq, Lenovo

For example I'm using a Fujitsu server to type this on. US Dollars $299, added a used sound card and Windows 7 $90 US (if no retail version that can be repurposed) with a Intel I3, 4Gb Error correcting memory (ECC), 250Gb hard drive, DVDRW. Not to big, very quiet and since it is a server I expect it to be reliable. Room for 5 more hard drives and a BluRay drive.

The real biggie. Would I prefer a laptop or desktop computer

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

FWIW: Unless you game or do things which are seriously CPU-intensive (nothing you listed is in that category), no point in having 8GB of RAM, even if RAM is now cheap (IMO).

4GB seems to work quite nicely with both XP and Win 7 Home on my system.

It's easy to get overwhelmed by all the seeming choices that vendors make nowadays...just take your time, figure out how much you want to spend...and then purchase what makes sense (not what the vendor wants to sell you).

If you have a system that's 7 years old...you don't have to buy what was produced last week...to have a technologically better system.

If Dell had given me good support for those 7 years...I'd be inclined to stay with them...but not overspend on the type of system I need/want. A system capability that is not utilized by a user...is of little value, IMO.

You will be able to connect your system either wirelessly or via wired method...depends on your preference and ISP. Examine the specs for any system that you review and the details should make it clear that both are possible.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

the reason I stated 8Gigs of RAM is for future upgradabilty for future Operating systems and word processing suites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users