Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Large dat files & jpg's lost data

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Calo

Calo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

hello,
thanks for reading my problem.

i have this computer, the system(xp) would not boot, so i checked hard drive with hirens, it passed, then i checked the memory and the 1 512mb module it had in was faulty.
so i replaced the faulty module and tried to boot the machine up and still it would not boot into o/s.
so i booted up linux and noticed the windows folder and program files were mostly empty. so i did a chkdsk.
but to no avail. still missing files.

so i then rang up my friend that own's the computer and told her i will just backup her data and format the machine. she said perfect, just backup the usual in a profile and also accounting software(thersaurus), which should be on the root of the c drive, so i started the backup of the profile, but when i went to the root there was no accounting software folder.
so i ran data recovery getdatback & easeus but no luck it sees all the files im looking for the accountant software folder plus the windows and program files folders are all full aswell, but it says there deleted. if you recover your just recovering corrupted data.

i then noticed some folders on the root of c drive you know the one like this(in the 1st image).
the folder named 6e6a35ee08425ee56848f0d419cc5a has over 40 gigs of data.
now all that is in that folder is large dat and jpg files like this (in second image)
do any of you's know what's going on with this, because im clueless.
Posted Image
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Well...just guessing but graphics files you reflect...are probably not graphics files. Those would, IMO, more likely be video files of some sort...if indeed they can be read/viewed at all.

<<...so i ran data recovery getdatback>>

I have a license for GetDataBack - NTFS. I haven't tried a large number of data-recovery programs, but I have respect enough for its performance to have purchased the license. If it cannot recover files, I would write them off as unrecoverable.

No data-recovery program is guaranteed to work...even if it does apparently "recover" files, they may be so corrupted/damaged that they cannot be taken at face value.

<<...the folder named 6e6a35ee08425ee56848f0d419cc5a has over 40 gigs of data.>>

Temporarary folders are often given filenames such as that...by backup/reocvery applications, IME.

In short, I have only guesses and no answers.

Louis

#3 Calo

Calo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

thank you but it looks like somebody broke into her office, deleted alot of files(except for her profile(odd)) and then made a load of dummy files. to fill up the drive to make recovery impossible. thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users