Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Disconnects Network Drives & Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 latindohko

latindohko

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a computer that is a member of a network of about 70 networked computers. This particular computer seems to disconnected from the network drives from what appears to be after 4:00pm PST. The user usually has open Outlook 2007, IE 8, Firefox 11, Excel, and Adobe.

Application Breakdown:

1. Outlook 2007: Company e-mail, there is no other e-mail being forwarded to her Outlook account. The Account is not cached, but connected directly to the Exchange Server 2003.
2. IE 8: A Website that our company uses to track financial data
3. Firefox:
a. Our In-House website that tracks our customers' info
b. Facebook
c. Youtube
4. Excel (These are located on her personal Drive in the network)
a. Spreadsheet she created: 898KB
b. Spreadsheet she created: Size is less than "a" & there are times she only has "a" opened
5. Adobe (These are located on her personal Drive in the network)
a. There are forms we use to mail out to clients
b. She usually will have 1 or 2 forms open at any given time

Computer Breakdown:

System Information report written at: 03/29/12 10:39:25
System Name: ACT_MANAGER_01
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ACT_MANAGER_01
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model OptiPlex 320
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3066 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.1.12, 6/17/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name PARARI\TDavid
Time Zone Pacific Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 3,584.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.53 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 5.06 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Issue Breakdown:

I have noticed that whenever she has this issue, the above applications are open, and she will not be able to save her Excel or Adobe files. If either I or her try to open up her network drives we will encounter a message stating "There are not enough resources to perform this task". Surfing the web becomes a little slow, but not unbearable. Outlook is able to perform without any issues.

Steps I have taken:

1. When i first saw the error message i went ahead and upgraded her memory from 1GB to 4GB.
2. I doubled check through AD that there were no restrictions on her login availability.
3. I tried to check if there are any similar settings from 2 on her Personal Drive.
4. If i were to start closing down applications, the computer immediately reconnects the drives and I will be able to access the network files again.
5. I can recreate the same issue 80% of the time by opening up the same applications as before.
6. I opened up Task Manager to see what it is causing the hang, but processor activity does not go up 40%
7. The computer itself does slow down when trying to save the files, but i think that might be because it cannot access the file after retrying to reconnect.
8. One thing i have noticed is that when i save the files on her desktop and check the server under Manage >> Shared Folder >> Open Files, the Files seem to be there for that user as if she has them open through the network.
a. If i close the connection to that file through the server, i can go back and open the File through the network
9. I have searched through blogs and noticed a similar case with Hibernating the computer, however this is not applicable for this case, because the user is continuously trying to work using either of the applications.
10. I have also tried running a virus check with Norton Internet Security 2012 and returned no threats.
11. I have also ran some diagnostic tests from the Dell website and found no issues either
12. I have also tried running some "Fix It" executables from the Microsoft website and still the same issue.

Any suggestion you may have i sincerely appreciate it.

I tried attaching the whole computer info file, but it was 5MB big, so if you need other info of the computer let me know. This does appear to only happen during the late hours of the day, usually after 4pm or so. By 5pm PST there is only 3 - 4 people at the office.

thank you,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

I have a computer that is a member of a network of about 70 networked computers.

As this is a large network, are there any documents on this particular unit that will not be available on other computers in the network ??
If so save all work to a linked external drive, or another linked computer -

A Repair install, or complete reinstall would be the most simple answer (or chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow at least)
This could be done while the computer is acting in what you describe as normal, prior to 4:00pm PST when the problem occurs -

Regards -

#3 latindohko

latindohko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

I have a computer that is a member of a network of about 70 networked computers.

As this is a large network, are there any documents on this particular unit that will not be available on other computers in the network ??
If so save all work to a linked external drive, or another linked computer -

A Repair install, or complete reinstall would be the most simple answer (or chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow at least)
This could be done while the computer is acting in what you describe as normal, prior to 4:00pm PST when the problem occurs -

Regards -

thanks for the response.

The computers only pull files from the server. Each computer is given access to a company drive (that is accessed by any computer in the network), as well as the agent's personal drive. If files need to be shared, they are saved on the company drive. I know that when the user has this issue, other people on the network do not. For example me personally, i can access both the shared drive as well as my personal drive without it being disconnected while the user is having this issue.

This is why i double checked to make sure there were no time restrictions in Active Directory. At first i figured it was almost like a peak performance, since it only seems to happen at the end of the day, however when i check the active processes and performance snapins, i don't see any issues.

Restarting the system can help, but i guess that will be my last resort.

thanks for your input.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Off the top of my head (and you probably checked these already) are there any scheduled tasks on the machine at that time of day like a punch clock app to record her time for the day?

Also, this sounds like it could be caused by something else on the network having the same IP address as her and only becomes an issue at that time and under those circumstances.

It also could be a problem with her connection to the router. If it is wired and not wireless, try plugging her into a different port.

Hope this helps
James

#5 latindohko

latindohko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Off the top of my head (and you probably checked these already) are there any scheduled tasks on the machine at that time of day like a punch clock app to record her time for the day?

Also, this sounds like it could be caused by something else on the network having the same IP address as her and only becomes an issue at that time and under those circumstances.

It also could be a problem with her connection to the router. If it is wired and not wireless, try plugging her into a different port.

Hope this helps
James

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yes, i have checked for any background processes that might be eating up her usage, but could not find anything that jumped at me right away. Punches go directly to the company that services us, so no processing is required on our end other than doing the web punch.

Her computer is part of a reserved IP range, and just recently we performed a network assessment and i made sure every device on our network will pull one different address. Apart from that, by 4 or so, the majority of our company is already gone. So she has this issue when either there are few people or at most 2 other people.

I will look into the connection a little bit deeper. We do not have wireless access, but i will check her wire connection and perhaps any switch setting that may be causing this.

I checked the NIC's settings and the only thing i changed was the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." setting (I did this, this morning, so lets see if it helps).

Thank you for your response.

Edited by latindohko, 02 April 2012 - 03:56 PM.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

If you haven't already, check her scheduled tasks.

START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SCHEDULED TASKS

James

#7 latindohko

latindohko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hello all,

thanks for your replies, i appreciate all the input i was given. Unfortunately the issue itself has not be solved, so if another person has the issue, he/she won't be able to fix it right away.

My fix for this was to swap out the computer in question and see whether this was a PC issue or a server issue. Two days now and this issue has not come up again for this user. It seems whatever caused this to happened, was on the old computer itself.

Once again, i appreciate everyone's input on this matter.

thank you,

latindohko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users