Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports Not Working Erratic on Dell Inspiron 620

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

USB Ports Not Working Erratic on Dell Inspiron 620
Windows 7 Home Premium 64

2 weeks old, no problems until some USB ports stopped working, then worked then went out, etc...

Windows device manager sees both USB controllers and when I uninstalled them and rebooted, saw them again and reinstalled them without errors.

Dell Diagnostics sees no problems.

The BIOS is extremely limited in what it allows me to see concerning the POST and there are very few settings to tweak.

During this whole time of my troubleshooting, only 2 of the 8 ports recognize the keyboard when I boot and attempt to go into BIOS. All ports have power.

Sometimes only 1 port works but if I power down and unplug it and wait for all of the power to drain away then plug it back in then 2 of the ports work again.

Windows sees all the ports but does not see when a device is plugged into any of the 6 non-working ones even though lights on the devices show that they have power. Devices tried include, known good flash drives, android phone, mouse, keyboard.

Just thought I'd see if any of you knew a standard fix for this while I get the user to back up their data (it's a small business work machine) and arrange for a Dell tech to visit them.

James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi James

One stray thought. I have seen physically damaged USB ports on Various Dells. (Sager Laptop too)
Where the plastic was broken and the 4 connectors inside were shorting against each other and the metal shell of the USB port.

One Computer it killed the Motherboard, the other it killed the SUB until I un-shorted them. Later on I replaced the USB ports on the little card. (Front USB Ports) One thing to look at. Beyond that the only other thing that comes to mind is a USB device that is drawing to much power or is defective and killing the USB bus.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thanks Roger, I'll do a physical inspection.

Dell's sending a guy out in a few days or so with a new mobo.

I probably should have mentioned that I also tried a Linux live CD and could not see the misbehaving ports with that either.

If I can't find physical damage, I have to wonder about the electrolytic caps for the USB ports' power. There seems to be a separate one for each pair and it is not ceramic and well ... Dell and electrolytic caps give me chills still even though I'm sure they must have strict quality control on them these days.

On a side note, their tech support is always friendly and helpful with me. I still recommend them to people who want an OEM machine.

James

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

I would not be worried about recommending Dell or HP business models for that matter.

As for the Capacitors issue, I've replaced a lot of 22uf, 820uf and 2200 uf in SX280s. However the newer models seem to be better. And from my reading in a lot of cases it wasn't the selected capacitors it was due to a manufacturing defect in the capacitors.

If they'll pay the premium I polymod them. badcaps.net used to sell the polymod kit, I don't see them today. But I have the paper showing the proper values.

http://www.badcaps.net/store/product_info.php?cPath=1_4&products_id=12

The 22uF 25v cap goes next to the CMOS battery. This cap fails frequently without showing any physical signs of failure, and will make the system exhibit all kinds of strange behavior.

I included 4x 1000uF 16v. Most SX280's only use 3, and you will see the blank for the 4th one that has no cap in it. It is recommended that this space be populated, so I included the cap.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Dell already sent someone out, replaced the mobo and it is all good :)

Nice guy, knew what he was doing.

Drives me nuts, though, that I never figured out what exactly was wrong. I'm a little OCD that way :crazy:

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users