Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Player

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mygourd

mygourd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

I can't get Media Player to recognize the information on CD's I'm trying to burn. I'm guessing that this is because MP won't connect to the internet. I recently installed Norton Internet Security and so I went into my firewall settings and specified that I wanted to allow Media Player to connect to the internet. This did not alleviate the problem, however. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:10 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

So is it fair to say that this problem started after installing Norton?

I can't get Media Player to recognize the information on CD's I'm trying to burn

What does this mean exactly? Are you really trying to 'burn' or are you trying to play something?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 20 February 2006 - 05:11 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 mygourd

mygourd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, it worked fine up until I installed Norton.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

Good. Thanks. And the answer to my second question is....?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 Kaptain

Kaptain

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:40 PM

Seems like he wants Windows Media Player to recognise name and artist of the songs that he's burning. Media Player tries to do that sometimes, but never works for me nor that i want it to work.

Edited by Kaptain, 20 February 2006 - 08:41 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:38 PM

Burn Your Own CDs
Video
Watch the Video!

Duration: 2:16 minutes

Bit Rate: 893 Kbps (best with a broadband Internet connection such as DSL or cable)

Note: If you are running a pop-up blocking utility, the video might not display.

For More Information
Burning a CD (Media Advice Archive, January 30, 2004)

Burn a Mix CD (Windows Media Player 9 Series)

October 2005

You can use Windows Media Player 10 to burn any mix of songs you want from your library to an audio CD. Once you've burned a CD, you can play it in any standard CD player. Burning mix CDs makes it easy to listen to only the songs you want. Before you begin, you need the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...urn_how_to.aspx

Are you following the directions as on the above page?

#7 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:35 AM

i have the same problem with media play 10 not adding the songs and artist info from the net. I find the CD with the info but it won't automatically add it in i always have to do it manually which is a pain and is alright for custom cd's but not for a album.

#8 mygourd

mygourd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:52 PM

Sorry AF, I didn't notice that second question. I'm actually just trying to rip the songs to my library.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

It would seem to me that if the problem started after the installalation of Norton (whatever Norton aps apply), then settings within those program/s are blocking whatever it is in Media Player from being able to provide the information you want.

Look at the settings for whatever Norton aps you installed and enable Media player's needs.

or

Uninstall the Norton components you installed.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 February 2006 - 08:05 PM.

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:21 AM

I'm actually just trying to rip the songs to my library

Now I get it! So, as you rip songs from a cd and into your computer, Windows Media Player used to pull related info off of the internet, such as artist info, album cover art, etc. And now, since installing Norton, it will allow you to rip, but it will not contact the internet and get the related info anymore.

I think Enthusiast may be on to it. Depending on what Norton product you have installed it may simply be a settings change that will cure your ills. Perhaps more info can be found on the Norton support pages at their site, as this doesn't really sound like an XP problem. Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users