Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Information for my Bachelor essay

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paprick

Paprick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hi!

I would like to ask someone competent (someone, who knows how does this forum work, is one of the counselor/moderator helping to others) to help me with my Bachelor essay. One of the parts of my BA essay is comparison of discussion forums providing help to users whose computer is infected by malware. I have a list of questions (two general for whole forum, rest of them are specific just for this part - security/solving malware problems) and I will really appreciate if someone give me about 15 minutes answering these questions. It will really help me! :smile: I can send this list of question to an email (I prefer this) or post them in here.

Note: If anyone of you know something interesting about this topic (some kind of statistics, graphs, some kind of metodology, etc...) feel free to let me know. It helps me as well!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

A suggestion: Post your questions here and then anyone who has time and wants to answer them can do so for you.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Paprick

Paprick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

Good idea :thumbup2:

Here are the questions:

General:
- When was the forum established, who did it and why? (the reason/motivation)

This forum section:
- How long does this section work?

Counselor/moderator:
- Who all is helping to users solving their problems with malware in userīs computers?
- How educated are these counselors/moderators? (what college degree they generally have)
- Where are these counselors/moderators working? (I suggest that people working/helping on this forum have some job – gerenally are they working in ICT somehow?)
- What led these counselors/moderators to join this forum and start helping to other users?
- Do you have any kind of check system to assure that the advices are correct?

Solving malware problems:
- Do you use/have some metodology (or universal procedure) that the counselors/moderators use when they are solving userīs issues with malware? (I know that general procedure for solving malware problems does not exist, but still, you may have some general procedure which counselors/moderators use and adapt according to userīs issue specification)
- Which software tools do you (counselors/moderators) use, when solving userīs issue with malware infication? Why these? Counselors/moderators are using all the same software tools or they are choosing individually software tols which they favor?

Education:
- Are the counselors/moderators “forced”/motivated to educated themselves, or is it just their thing or do they do this on their own because they are interest in this topic and they want to educated themselves on their own.
- When someone want to become a counselor/moderator, what does he/she have to do? What are the conditions to become one of the counselor/moderator? Do you have some program of educating new counselors/moderators? If yes, can you describe it for me? (in sufficient details, if possible)

Cooperation:
- Does your forum cooperate with other forums offering help with solving malware issues? If yes, can you tell me name of them (or better give me a internet link)? How does this cooperation look like? What are the advantages?
- Does your forum cooperate with some company producing antiviruses (Bitdefender, AVG, Kasperski antivirus, etc.)? If yes, with who? How does this cooperation look like? Some adventages?

Statistics:
Do you have some detail statistics of this forum section? If yes, will you give me them?

Finally if there is something interesting about your forum (especially about this section), feel free to tell me about it. I will really appreciate it and it will really help me a lot. If you know some web page or do you have some information (graphs, statistics, news, articles) which are connected to solving problems with malware infication in userīs computers, I will be glad if you give me this information/tables/graphs/links/etc.
One more time, thank you for your time and for your help!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

You ask a lot of questions, so I will get you started with some answers.

If you look at the pinned topics in each forum/subforum, you will find a wealth of information.

For example: Am I Infected? What do I do? How do I get help? Who is helping me?

...Posting your problem here allows more experienced and knowledgeable Members and Staff to determine if solving your problem requires additional information and whether it is actually caused by malware or by some other problem requiring a different approach...

Advice or instructions in this area should be limited to non-invasive scanners or tools that create a report that can be reviewed by a trained helper. The use of Combofix or any other high level removal tool is not for this area. See HERE.

As this is an open area, available for any member to post in, please use caution when following the advice given. Instructions from the following member groups is to be considered trusted:
Admin | Site Admin | Global Moderator | Moderator | Malware Response Instructor | Malware Response Team | BC Advisor

Other trusted helpers include Malware Study Hall Junior and Malware Study Hall Senior with "Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!" in their signature.

Most of the malware removal Helpers are experts you have completed an arduous training course of instruction at one of the various online Unite Schools to include (but one limited to):Many of the experts work at more than one site so they know each other and often participate in private discussions with one another pertaining to new tools, new removal techniques, new variants of malware, etc.

We are all volunteers and no one is paid. The reasons for volunteering time and effort to help victims of malware infection will vary from one individual to another. While some are dedicated to such a cause due to personal experience, others like the challenge of defeating the malware writers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

More information: Bleeping Computer Membership Descriptions A brief overview of each group.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Paprick

Paprick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thank you guys for your answers, it really helps me! :thumbup2:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users