Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Hangs.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bgodkin

Bgodkin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

Hello everyone.

I am having a bit of a problem with my system at the moment. It has me stumped. I'll start by listing the specs below.

Mainboard ECS PT800CE-A
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz Prescott
Memory: 1GB PC3200 400mhz Kingston
Video card: ATI Radeon 9250 256 MB
Sound card: Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Hard Drive: Maxtor 6Y160PO
DVD Drive: Lite-on LTD 166S
DVD-+R Drive: DW-D22A
Operating System: Win XP Pro/ SP2/ Fully Updated

This pile of junk hangs When doing just about anything. Especially more so when doing anything such as burning a movie. It is getting really frutrating as it destroys more DVD-R's then it burns. I am about at my wits end and am getting really close to just firing it out of the upstairs window and starting over again. lol. I have a feeling it is to do with this ECS mainboard. Anyone else have these problems? If so I would love to hear any possible fixes.

Thanks in advance,
Brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:17 PM

Have you done any virus/malware scans?

Are you using these basic security programs?
(They're all free.)
aČ free
ewido security suite
Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D

These 2, will help prevent spyware/malware from being installed in the first place:
Spywareblaster
SpywareGuard

Download these programs, update them, and then run them.
These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

When installing ewido security suite, under Additional Options uncheck:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

Helpful Tutorials:
Using Ad-Aware SE
Using SpywareBlaster
Using SpywareGuard
Using Ewido
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Bgodkin

Bgodkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:30 PM

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I use the built in firewall in my router and run norton anti-virus 2005 and ad-aware on my system once a week. Since I have been using this modem router I have had zero infiltration of adware, spyware, or viruses.

Thanks again!
Brad

#4 Bgodkin

Bgodkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2006 - 01:28 PM

Still no luck with this system. Any ideas anyone.

Brad

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:20 PM

Have you checked your Event Viewer for errors? ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Bgodkin

Bgodkin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:04 AM

Hello,
I checked the events viewer and ran into nothing out of the ordinary to be honest. It has me a bit baffled. I reformatted it the other day hoping that perhaps it was a software problem but even with nothing more then Windows XP SP2 loaded and nothing else it still hangs and locks up for no apparent reason. I have been through all the system settings and can't find a thing that would eve remotely make it act this way. Starting to think that this main board may just truly be rubbish and that a swap to a different brand board is in order. lol. Thanks in advance.

Brad

#7 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 02:22 AM

When you reformatted your computer, (assuming SP2 is seperately installed from the OS) did it run fine before you installed SP2? Im not sure what causes it, but ive seen several computers run fine until SP2 was installed, then they went all screwy.

If youre up to it, try reformatting again, without installing SP2 for a while and see how it runs.

Good luck

-Nick

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:13 AM

What ap and version are you using to burn the disks and have you looked to see if there are issues addressed on the burning software's site.

There have been updates from Nero and Roxio that address such issues with SP2 and SP2 is a critical update that patches numerous exploits found existing before it. It is primarily a security update although it adds additional functionality to XP as well.

Primarily for Nick :
Operating without SP2 not only subjects your system to infection through various discovered exploits that have been patched by SP2, but not having it makes users complicit in the spread of malware to others on the internet, especially to those in your address book.

The problem you are experiencing now may well be from a malware infestation not recognized by Norton which is an anti-virus ap and doesn't address other types of malware.

By the way, a router is not a substitute for a software firewall. You need both. Do you even have mac addresses locked down in your router, which is not nor was it ever intended to be a substitute for even a hardware firewall?

Edited by Enthusiast, 06 March 2006 - 04:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users