Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cheesycow5

cheesycow5

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:46 PM

Ok, I was running Avast, and it apparentally deleted wininet.dll from my other computer, and now it won't start. I have no idea what to do. I just gives an error that says bcmwiltry.exe could not start because wininet.dll was not found. That error just keeps popping up. Sometimes it also says explorer.exe could not start. Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skate_Punk_21

Skate_Punk_21

Crapware Killing Canuck!

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:23 PM

From the task manager please go to File >> new Task
type: Notepad

Please copy and paste the following into notepad exactly as it appears:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
"SourcePath"="C:\"

Save this file to your C:\ drive as "fix.reg" WITH the quotation marks. Now from task manager go to File >> new Task
and type: C:\fix.reg

when prompted, allow it to merge with the registry.

and one last thing, agian from the task manager, goto File >> new Task
and type sfc /scannow

Your computer SHOULD start scanning for missing/damaged windows files. If all goes well, it will scan and disappear (crossed fingers) after this, lets have an update on your computers performance.

Edited by Skate_Punk_21, 20 February 2006 - 05:24 PM.

If I've helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight: Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:32 PM

Ok, I was running Avast, and it apparentally deleted wininet.dll from my other computer, and now it won't start. I have no idea what to do. I just gives an error that says bcmwiltry.exe could not start because wininet.dll was not found. That error just keeps popping up. Sometimes it also says explorer.exe could not start. Please help.

What won't start?

Windows?

Right after the bios screen, when Windows just begins, keep tapping F8 and see if you can start in safe mode.

Type C:\sfc /scannow in a command line.

#4 Skate_Punk_21

Skate_Punk_21

Crapware Killing Canuck!

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:21 PM

What won't start?

Windows?

Right after the bios screen, when Windows just begins, keep tapping F8 and see if you can start in safe mode.

Type C:\sfc /scannow in a command line.

SFC /scannow wont run in safe mode.
If I've helped you in any way, please consider a donation to help me continue the fight: Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:57 AM

Did Windows start in safe mode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users