Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buzzing sound when plugged in

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SomeDude1

SomeDude1

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

I was studying on my computer when I noticed a buzzing sound coming from it. I decided to turn it off to see if that would fix it, but the buzzing sound actually stayed when the computer itself was off. Unplugging the power cord made the sound go away, and plugging it back in made the sound come back even if the computer was off. I took the battery out and tried to clean it a bit (albeit not well because I don't have a can of compressed air on me) and it didn't seem to fix the problem. Now what happens is that plugging in my computer will make no sound for a while, then it will start to make a little lower pitched noise, then get back to the sound i first heard. It seems to come and go. The sound is similar to the sound you hear when you try to open too many things and the computer freezes up on you and starts buzzing for a while until it can get everything sorted out.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Is this something I can fix myself (without opening the case) or do I have to take it in?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hi, One thing to try.
Can you borrow a different AC Adapter to see if you still get the sound?
Try removing the battery and see if the sound goes away.

If the computer makes the sound when it is off, then cleaning it will have no effect.

Before taking the computer in and spending money on it see if you can accomplish the two tests above.

If removing the battery makes the sound go away, do not jump to the conclusion that the battery is bad.
It could be the charging circuit in the laptop making that noise.
Unfortunately the only way to test that is by substitution.

So before jumping to things see if you can do the two tests and report back.
Also Please post make and model.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 SomeDude1

SomeDude1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

Hi Roger, thanks for the reply! I actually thought it was just the plug I was using because when I got home the noise went away, but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to follow it for a bit and try the tests you suggested and see where it leads me. I just don't want it to be something that's damaging my computer though, if it's a problem with the adapter/battery could it permanently harm my computer (or be a safety hazard)?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

Hi Roger, thanks for the reply! I actually thought it was just the plug I was using because when I got home the noise went away, but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to follow it for a bit and try the tests you suggested and see where it leads me. I just don't want it to be something that's damaging my computer though, if it's a problem with the adapter/battery could it permanently harm my computer (or be a safety hazard)?

Hi, Just a quick reminder, The AC adapter has to be th right one, same with the battery. The wrong ones could cause damage.

The answer to could it cause harm is yes. Will it cause harm? maybe yes, maybe no.

If the noise does not occur at home I would stop using that outlet for anything.
The possibilities are that the outlet could, could, not does have.
1. Reversed polarity
2. Open Neutral
3. Open Ground
Less likely
4. Wrong voltage

I knew someone that was replacing his desktop power supply every month. I suggested getting one of those inexpensive outlet testers at a hardware store, Home Depot, Loewes etc.

When I saw him a while later he said he had to get a electrician in to fix the outlet and from then on, no more power supply woes.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 March 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users