Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New wireless card problems ?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite M30X, Windows XP Pro, 2GB Ram, Service Pack 3. The computer was running fine for a long time. But then the wireless signal kept dropping and starting back up about every 5 - 10 minuets.I figured it was the wireless card going bad because I had uninstalled the drivers for it and reinstalled them and it didn't help. If the pc is plugged up to the LAN connection(wired), it runs perfect.
So I replaced the wireless card with a new Gigabyte card, hooked into the internet with the LAN, a driver downloaded perfectly and in the device manager, everything looked fine. But, when I move the cursor over the wireless icon in the botton right cornner, it says " Wireless Network Connection 1 is not connected Wireless network unavailable. I have tried to connect in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING, and that didn't help at all. I have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. I have Turned off my router for 2 minutes and turned it back on, and I have tried the "repair" option. None of these things have helped. I have also clicked on " Refresh network list" and it doesn't show any networks. Normaly it would show about 3 connections from nieghbors.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!!
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Is the wireless card radio on?

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

If your talking about the little switch on the side of the laptop, yes it's on.
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Are there tools provided by Gigabyte that will see if your card is broadcasting out?

#5 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

No clue, but I will look it up and let ya know.

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Nothin. I

#7 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Nothin. I've had this card sitting in a drawer for years and I see that Gigabyte no longer deals with that type of product. I have 2 other wireless cards in the drawer. Do you think I should go ahead and try a different card ?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

Try another card.

#9 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Before I do that, I wanted to say that there looks like a small light beside the switch on the side of the laptop, and that light doesn't light up at all. What does that mean ?

#10 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Ok, replaced the card and everything works good. Thanks for your help. I reckon the new Gigabyte card was just not working.

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Were these cards kept in anti-static bags?

#12 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Yes

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

weird, but glad you got it working.

#14 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks and thank you again for your help !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users