Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet when switch is plugged in?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PcRc

PcRc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hey guys, normally I would ask this question in the chat room but for some reason it will not open??

Anyways, we bought a new switch and router for the school
Router - D-Link DIR 655
Switch - NETGEAR JFS524E

Reason is because we had about 3 little switches and it was a mess, and impossible to diagnose if it was needed. So I managed to find a nice cheap one online that will do the job (QoS and Network monitoring was needed).

So I unplugged the first switch, put all the ethernet cords into the new one and plugged it into the router. No internet. Anything connected to the router had no internet. Unplugged it, it was fine.

So before I make a huge mess in the network room, I want to know what maybe I did and what to try. Computers right now are working because the switch I removed was needed for 3 computers that are not used much.

I'm thinking I did a loop?

Thanks in advance,
PcRc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PcRc

PcRc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Ok fixed it! It was a loop.

Yay!
/end topic

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Thanks for posting your solution, trouble shooting that would have taken awhile.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users