Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did my video card blow up?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 msee

msee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 running Windows XP MediaDirect. Two days ago, while running a video game the display froze with vertical lines all through it. I had to crash the laptop. When I restarted it, it briefly showed a display of the start up windows screen severly broken up with more vertical lines then it went to a black screen. I attempted to connect it to a standard monitor with the same result: vertical lines on the start up windows screen. Then the screen showed faint symbols at the top left of the screen, then attempted to reboot. I attempted to boot in safe mode but I get nothing but a black screen. I also attempted to run the video diagnostics, but again got nothing but the black screen. Everything had been running fine up until this point and had ran Superantispyware, and MalwareBytes just the day before as my antivirus maintence. Did my video card give out or is this a more serious issue? PLEASE HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

Most likely the laptops GPU chip needs to be reflow by a heat gun which means it needs to be taken to a repair shop. The black screen or vertical lines for laptops usually are resolved by these procedure.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users