Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logon Script Does Not Run On Initial Boot Or Reboot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hotshot309

hotshot309

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

I have a user whose computer is acting up. We have a logon script that maps each user's network drives, running on a server. However, this user can boot up from scratch and log in to the domain, and it's clear that the logon script doesn't run at all (no command prompt windows pop up to show that the script is running). As a result, her network drives don't show up. If she reboots, same thing. However, if the computer is up already and a user is logged on, and then she logs off and then on again, the logon script to runs. The DOS windows pop up, and her network drives are automatically mapped. This is on an XP system.

Any ideas of what the problem might be, or how to fix it? Thanks a lot.

Hotshot309

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:06 PM

who created the domain? what nos is your domain server? passwords created? how do you have your xp os set up to log in? i mean, your option set in user accounts.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 hotshot309

hotshot309
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

Okay,

I'm new at my job, and my boss isn't here, and I'm a beginner, so I am trying to scrounge together the info I can to answer your questions from a bit of documentation I have:

1) Who created the domain? My boss, I assume.
2) What NOS is my domain server? The server offering up the batch files managing user mapped drives, DHCP, etc., is running MS Exchange, if I'm reading the notes correctly.
3) Passwords created? I don't understand what you're referring to there, but even if I did, I'm sure I wouldn't have the answer at this point...
4) How is the option set in User Accounts to log in? Well, I'm not a domain administrator, so I don't have the ability to do much with user accounts, nor do I know what option you're referring to. I just know that the logon script is a .VBS file that apparently is called on by another .VBS file (just reading the notes) stored on the Exchange server, and it uses a text file on the server to map the drives for each user. Users' individual mappings are configured in the text file.

I may be able to provide a clearer set of details later, when my boss is back...assuming he doesn't figure out the solution right away. I mainly just wanted to know if anyone had ideas of what I could check or try to do, here, but I know I'm not being very helpful, since there's a lot I don't know.

Thanks again,
Hotshot309

#4 hotshot309

hotshot309
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

Never mind--this seemed to fix itself, according to the user, after I just recreated the problem and rebooted once. She says it works every time now--very strange.

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:35 AM

lol, god love reboot!!!
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users