Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xerox Phaser Noise and Jams - Fuser, Tray 2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PastorGeiger

PastorGeiger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hey folks!

I'm posting about a Xerox Phaser 6360 that we use here in the office. We print a full run of bulletins every Sunday, and currently, the printer will run no more than three at a go.
I'm sorry to say that I don't know much about this printer, or laser printers in general. I came up in a world where I was thrilled to lose my dot matrix for an inkjet, and these laser-doohickeys are still foreign to me.

So, problem in a nutshell--

About a week ago, I accidentally put a big stack of paper in the tray at the exact moment the rollers kicked in to start a print job. This was in tray 1, with normal 8.5x11" paper. Consequently, the rollers sucked in about 20 sheets of paper, and we got a big ol' jam. I fixed that, but a loud thumping/clacking noise has persisted.
Then, a few days later, we tried to run the bulletins. These are printed on 8.5x14" paper - don't know the weight or anything, but the seem like regular printer paper, but long. They run out of tray 2. When we attempt to print here, the machine will run maybe one or two copies before jamming.
The error says "Jam at Fuser". I'll open her up and remove the jam, but the problem persists. It looks like it's jamming at the rollers directly underneath the imaging unit, but I can't be sure.

I contacted Xerox support with not great results. The phone support is laughably expensive - $300 for the first half hour, and $70 for each extra ten minutes. The email support actually provided me a response, but it didn't help. They directed me here, which didn't really solve any of my problems, I don't think; I know the paper settings are correct, and it doesn't seem like the paper feed rollers are at fault because the pages get so far into the machine before they get stuck.

I checked the "Jam at Fuser" section of the Xerox troubleshooting page, and it tells me to A) make sure I'm using the right paper, which I am; B ) Remove and re-install the fuser, which I tried to no avail, and C) replace the fuser.

At this point, I turn to your wisdom for aid. Should I genuinely be thinking about replacing the fuser? Is there some simpler issue that I'm missing? All the support sections keep teling me to look for loose debris and bits of broken plastic, but I haven't found any yet. Any help y'all can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hi

I have not worked on one like this in several years but I did do a lot of color laser maintenance in the past. I was responsible for printing tabloid sized newsletters on a color laser that weighed more than me and always broke at the most inopportune times. I think you know what I'm talking about :)

This might be the fuser drive assembly (XEROX PHASER 6360 007K94370). It is cheaper than a new fuser but I'm not sure how difficult it is to replace on that printer (it can be very complex to get to the screws securing it in some printers).

Also, I can not be sure without physically looking at your printer so this is just a suggestion of something to look into.

You may want to check the costs of having a local shop print the bulletin for you at this point. Especially if it looks like a fuser replacement is needed. You can check out how many weeks of outsourced printing can you buy for the price of a new fuser.

Here's a funny church bulletin story for you.
My grandfather was a typesetter in the Shenandoah Valley many years ago and was responsible for the church bulletin every Sunday. My father was trying to make beer in the basement where the bulletin was set and printed and all his beer bottles exploded one Saturday. You can guess what the bulletins smelled like that Sunday :)

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 28 March 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi,

I very much suspect that you have physical damage at this point due to the original paper jam. The fact that you said a loud thumping/clacking noise has persisted points to this.

I would bite the bullet and look for a local printer repair shop and get a feel for whether it is cheaper to replace the printer or repair it.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 PastorGeiger

PastorGeiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

Thanks guys.

Roger, it seems that you've been answering all my questions lately. Why couldn't this answer have been the same optimistic ones you've given for my power adapter and CD drive questions? :-)

I suspect physical damage is the culprit, too. It's possible we may end up just getting a smaller-scale replacement, since we're a tiny church that doesn't need a huge volume of printing. .

I'll check with local print and repair shops. We're in a little mountain town, so my chances aren't necessarily good. We'll see. If I can't find anybody, I may try the fuser assembly just for the heckuvit before we go with a full replacement.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hi, I did find this online.

Service manual http://www.scribd.com/doc/42787465/XEROX-Phaser-6300-6350-6360-Parts-List-Service-Manual

You might want to take a look at it before buying anything and see if it looks like you can do it.

Look at the error messages and troubleshooting sections too.

Section 8 cover removal of parts

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Jams can be caused by a number of things. While it does sound like there maybe more physical damage but it could just be paper dust on the rollers from the original jam, or the rollers could have become misaligned.
Can you access the rollers you think are causing the jam to see if they move freely?
I work in a printer repair shop, but mainly deal with inkjet problems and im not familiar with this specific printer.

#7 PastorGeiger

PastorGeiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Just to clear this out--

Finally called some repair folks. Pretty immediately, he looked at the fuser and showed me where one of the rollers was slanted - misaligned.

So we could replace the fuser. I've seen them for about $140, and it seems like a way simple fix. However, I think the church is going to decide to just get a new machine that copies and scans as well as prints, so it's gonna be a moot point.

Thanks for all your help!

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for letting us know the final outcome, All to often..

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users