Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7, no ip address

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

I have an issue with a Windows 7 64 bit machine...brand new out of the box, where it will not pull an ip address.

the command 'ipconfig' produces absolutely no output.

what led up to this was that I was trying to push Kapersky antivirus client from a server onto this machine. It installed, but I realized that I installed endpoint protection where I just needed the anitvirus client. I uninstalled Endpoint protection and upon reboot...no ip.

So far, the troubleshooting steps I have take are listed here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hi -
After taking All of those steps listed in the M/soft article (including the Mr FixIt item) you may have a problem with the ISP -

What has the Internet Provider for this service had to say so far ??

Thank You -

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

This is the only machine in the network that can't pull an IP.

When I go to Network Connections, there are none (no LAN connection)

When I go to the device manager, the NIC drivers are there, but there is a message that they are not working due to 'misconfiguration'.

Seems like the IP stack is forked..hence my attempts with resetting it in the aforementioned microsoft support link.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

From an Eleveted Command Prompt , type the following, in this order, pressing enter after each line :

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

Always worth a try -

When I go to the device manager, the NIC drivers are there, but there is a message that they are not working due to 'misconfiguration'.

This could (maybe) be resolved with a sfc /scannow from an Eleveted Command Prompt also -

Is the Internet card and its (former) settings all from the first install, and not added extras ??

EDIT - The install discs are not usually required for SFC on Win7 systems

Edited by noknojon, 29 March 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#5 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

Tried all of the above plus I also tried lspfix.exe....no go.

I still have the media and instead of spending more time with it, I just did a reinstall.

Thanks for the above assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users