Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMC TV is purple

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bgrizz

bgrizz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

I have a very weird problem and I can't find any answers anywhere on the interwebs. I'll try to outline all my troubleshooting over the last few months, but it may be a bit convoluted and not necessarily in the order in which I did it.

I have a home built HTPC with win7 32bit. It was working great for a couple years. All of a sudden TV shows turned purple. It actually turns my whole display a purplish hue, even when I exit WMC, until I restart. Even TV shows that had recorded and played fine weeks earlier would be purple when played. Other video types are ok like DVD's and Netflix, just TV is purple. I can't remember everything I tried initially, but I eventually found a fix and in the Nvidia settings; there was something to the effect of use Nvidia color settings, not the program color settings. This kind of worked except the video was really laggy and blurry. I thought maybe my video card was fried so I tried the onboard video on my MB. That didn't work. I bought a new video card, that didn't work. At some point I discovered that the problem only happened when I was at full screen. I tried a couple different TV tuner cards, same thing. I tried Hauppauge's software. Same thing, it looked ok in less than full screen, turned purple when I maximized the window. I've tried to get help from both Microsoft and EVGA (my new video card was from them). Microsoft said it was my video card. EVGA said it was my power supply, or potentially my MB. So, I got a new MB and power supply. I just got everything up and working, even reinstalling windows and no luck. As soon as I went to live TV it turned purple. This time though it was in a less than full size window, so I'm going backwards.

Anyway, does anyone have any clues, ideas, anything that I should try?

Thanks a bunch.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

That's a tough one there :)

What is the manufacturer/model of the TV and have you tried other TV's?

James

#3 bgrizz

bgrizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

It's a Samsung UN46C6400. No, I haven't tried any other TV's/monitors. I guess I could try that.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

Are you connecting the computer to the TV from HDMI to HDMI or VGA to HDMI or VGA to VGA or some other combination?

The purple problem sounds more like a VGA thing than an HDMI thing.

If a VGA jack is involved in this setup you could try a different cable.

James

#5 bgrizz

bgrizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

I've tried both DVI to HDMI and HDMI to HDMI. Problem occurs with both.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Okay, then it may very well be an increase in bandwidth requirements causing the problem. If you used the same cable but with a DVI-HDMI adapter then try a different HDMI cable. If you tried two different cables (a DVI to HDMI and a separate HDMI to HDMI cable) then I don't know what it could be.

The fact that it was working fine for a while and then suddenly went bad is consistent with a cable problem where it was just barely provided enough bandwidth and after time degraded.

You can also try to lower the bandwidth by changing the output on your computer to mono sound instead of stereo (especially if you are outputting surround sound) and see if that makes the purple tinged full screen go away. Then at least you'd know what direction to troubleshoot in :)

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 30 March 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#7 bgrizz

bgrizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thanks. You finally got me on the right track. I had tried a couple different cables from my PC to my stereo, but I never tried hooking up directly to the TV. That worked! I also tried the cable that was running between the stereo and TV and the brightness kept coming in and out. So it may be that cable, but I haven't ruled out the stereo. I'm waiting to get a new 6' cable so I can try it out. Anyway, it looks I'm getting somewhere. Finally.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hi

I'm a little confused now :)

Why are you talking about a stereo? Was it part of this configuration the whole time?

If you are not connecting the computer to the TV but are in fact connecting the computer to some other equipment and then connecting that equipment to the TV then we need to know those details in order to help you.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users