Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reliable XP copies on eBay for my purpose (explained within)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HonestDon

HonestDon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hi all,

(Following traditional n00b protocol by posting a question shortly after registering)

Search as I may across the interwebs I cannot find a scenario that quite matches this one, though I'm sure the answer is pretty easy. I just need clarification.

My girlfriend's old laptop (Dell Latitude D610 refurb) contains a copy of XP which I believe has a corrupt registry. She got a malware/spyware program (WindowsSecurity maybe) last summer, which upon removal and MalwareBytes scan has left all the menu subfolders empty (tried unhide.exe, fail). It also occasionally does not detect wireless networks and insists Windows is not set to manage wireless networks, and the computer is running slower than its previously slow self.

Regardless, SystemRestore is fail, all restore points are after the initial infection. I do not have an XP disc, and have been looking at those on eBay so I can either run sfc /scannow or reinstall the whole thing and be done with this mess. I've copied her files to my external HD so reinstalling is no harm no foul.

What is a disc that will do this for me - I've contacted a few sellers on ebay and they informed me the discs are good only for installs on a clean HD. These were the "reliable" looking ones, mind you.

She's currently living at home using her parents computer and this thing has been sitting in my room collecting dust only to be occasionally turned on and then off after I get sufficiently annoyed. I pretty much have free range with it, and don't want to chuck it.

I want to be creative and use it as a learning tool, but part of that process is getting it running proper again.

Any help is appreciated, excuse my longwinded explanation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

they informed me the discs are good only for installs on a clean HD.

Hi -
I do not understand this part as a install CD is an install CD -

First try to run check disc on this computer - Not too creative, but a good first starter -
There are also Dell "repair options" that can be attempted, but for now just run chkdsk /r

Type chkdsk /r into Start > Run Box > click OK and then reboot the computer - Note the gap between k and / as it is important -

This may take from 45 to 60 mins for the 5 stages (on average), and seem like it is going to a blue screen, but that is normal -

Take note if there are any errors displayed, but there rarely are.

Thank You -

EDIT -
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=231274 - A link to Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus (please install it if there is no other antivirus installed)

Edited by noknojon, 27 March 2012 - 11:31 PM.

#3 Zootopia3000

Zootopia3000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

sfc /scannow should bring back the missing or corrupted system files that are either contained in the continually updated Windows/system32/dllcache folder, or off the Windows CD if need be. Most likely sfc will find most all what you need in the windows/system32/dllcache folder with no need for the CD. Afterwards redo MS update to see if any security updates need reinstalling.

Edited by Zootopia3000, 28 March 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

Most likely sfc will find most all what you need in the windows/system32/dllcache folder with no need for the CD. Afterwards redo MS update to see if any security updates need reinstalling.

If this was a Windows7 or even Vista, this could be true, but with XP, if there are any missing files they would need to be recovered from the original CD

The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you! To view it go to: My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > "uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.
If that's the case on your computer then there is normally no need for the original XP CD to be inserted as your computer has a "copy" it can get hold of in this cache...

But, if the Dll cache folder, or part of it, has become corrupted for some reason then you will be prompted for the XP CD, so your computer can get a clean copy of the files

There are ways of running sfc without a CD, but it generally will not recover all missing or corrupt files -

Thank You -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

Restore To Factory Defaults

Louis

#6 HonestDon

HonestDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

I definitely appreciate all of your responses. I will break out the lappy and mess around with it soon, and report back with my results.

The XP CD I was looking at on eBay is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Professional-w-SP3-Pro-COA-Product-Key-Sealed-DVD-Case-/130661807131?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6c0cf41b
I contacted the seller who told me in a somewhat convoluted way that this particular disk only works as a new install on a clean HD.

I was also looking at ones like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Factory-Sealed-From-Dell-Win-XP-Pro-With-Service-Pack-3-SP3-Reinstall-CD-/251029363508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a72841b34
But I'm just weary of spending anything if I don't have to/if it's not gonna work.

Anyhow, thanks again, I'll drop in with an update sooner or later.

Edit: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I believe I've checked the volume for errors and defragged for the helluvit already, but I'll probably do it again when I sit down with the computer to take a more methodic, consistent approach.
She's currently got AVG on there for antivirus. I've got McAfee which I may put on hers too. I may try the Security Essentials program to try something new.
And yes, I too thought I could get away with pulling from the dll cache but keep getting prompted for the CD.

Edited by HonestDon, 28 March 2012 - 10:38 PM.

#7 HonestDon

HonestDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Restore To Factory Defaults

Louis

Finally got around to trying this, and lo and behold there is no trace of this option anywhere in System Restore or when I bring up the boot menu after power up. I don't understand why this choice is not available, as it's a Dell, and upon reading up on it others seem to have success with it.

#8 HonestDon

HonestDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

I did just pick up the D610 drivers cd cheap and a relatively cheap xp sp3 Dell cd. Might try scannow and if that fails do a clean install. Will report back once I get the cds in the mail and give it a shot.

#9 HonestDon

HonestDon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

Clean install went smooth, installed all the drivers too. Running well.

Got to reinstall her programs, Malwarebytes, Secunia and a good free antivirus suite, plus all the Windows updates.

Any recommendations for the best free antivirus for XP? She had AVG. All help is appreciated.

(I figure I might as well go OT in my own thread so I don't clog up the forums with a bunch of little posts)

Edited by HonestDon, 21 May 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

There is no "best" AV program...there is no AV program that is perfect.

There are any number of reliable free programs, including Avira Free and Avast Free...but you really ought to visit AV, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods for better info on such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users