Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Golfaholic

Golfaholic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

I backed up my laptop computer using a thumb drive. It ran out of space before I finished the back up. Now my computer keeps telling me that Local Disk D: is running out of disk space. Disk D is the thumb drive. How do I convince my computer that the drive is no longer there? When I go to my computer it shows as a drive and when I click on it it shows a backup and a system restore icon. The thumb drive was used in a usb port. I have windows xp pro as my os. I have plenty of room left on my c drive. Help!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zootopia3000

Zootopia3000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

I don't know, that's a toughy. Have you tried formatting that USB drive and starting anew with a larger thumbdrive? This is one reason why I don't use XP's system restore feature and disable it totally. To me it's worthless. I go with ERUNT and sfc /scannow for my system restore needs, along with a monthly patch Tuesday 'System Data state' backup using Windows' tried and true old Backup utility. Oh, and installing Windows Recovery Console with full rights helps also.

Edited by Zootopia3000, 28 March 2012 - 03:15 AM.

#3 Golfaholic

Golfaholic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Thank you. I will try your ideas.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

System manufacturer and model?

OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) systems often come with a hidden or additional partition created on the hard drive...which will appear as D, if not hidden.

This partition is created to either contain files needed for restoration to factory defaults or intended backups of the system.

You can verify drive letter assignment and what type of partitions are established on your system...by taking a look in Disk Managmenet.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Louis

#5 Golfaholic

Golfaholic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Thank you. I went to My Computer and clicked on the D Drive and deleted the
backup icon. This worked and I no longer am getting the error message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users