Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Mouse unusable for 30 seconds after boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew Fiedler

Andrew Fiedler

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

So my keyboard and mouse are completely usable in the bios and during boot, but once the windows login screen opens up, there is a 30+ second delay before the keyboard and mouse become active. This doesn't appear to be a freeze or lag of any type, just like the keyboard and mouse hasn't been recognized yet.

I have a printer and several external drives connected to my computer's USB ports, so I tried unplugging everything but the keyboard and mouse. The time goes down to about 5 seconds, however, the last few times I've tried, there was about a 10 second wait for the mouse to work after the keyboard worked. With only the mouse and keyboard plugged in, I feel this must be either 1) an issue with drivers loading or 2) a specific issue with my USB drivers.

Here's what I've done so far to try and troubleshoot. Not sure what to do next.

• Used google (couldn't find anything that looked related enough to try)
  • Unplugged everything but keyboard and mouse from USB ports - Decreased lag time to 5-15 seconds
  • enabled boot logging, checked file for drivers not loading (attached)
  • Checked bios for legacy USB enabled (it was)
  • Double checked AV software (only MS Security Essentials and Malwarebytes installed, malwarebytes does not run any processes unless I start it up)

Having multiple USB devices plugged in upon boot should not delay the usability of my keyboard and mouse. There must be some reasonable explanation.

System Specs in signature

Attached Files

Edited by Andrew Fiedler, 27 March 2012 - 07:39 PM.

System Specs
MOBO - Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3
CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K
RAM - 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (4X 8GB)
GPU - EVGA Geforce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
PSU - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W
SSD - Crucial M4 256GB SATA III
HDD - Seagate Barracude ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA III

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hi Andrew

I don't have a solution but I actually need some help on this issue and was wondering if you could answer some questions for me.

I did a service call today for a frozen unbootable Windows 7 computer. When I got it to reboot, it had the 30 second pause for the keyboard and mouse like you described. I noticed there was some trouble with installing some recent Windows updates and once I fixed those, it seemed to work fine.

Here are my questions....

Did you hear any weird sounds from your computer before this happened like a USB device was being connected when one wasn't?

Do you have any recent Windows updates that are listed as having trouble being installed?
(You can usually see them by clicking the Windows Orb in the lower left corner (was the START button in XP) and type in
view reliability history
and that will show you recent failed update installs for the date that you first had this problem.)

Thanks
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users