Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A couple questions. PSU and odd hookup thingy.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 printerandink

printerandink

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

When you connect the power cable to the motherboard with a modular psu, are you supposed to connect to both of the connections on the psu or just the bigger connection on the psu? I have two connections on my psu, one smaller and one bigger. Connectors that go to both of them are on a single cable with the big motherboard connector (which goes to the motherboard) on one end and 2 smaller connectors on the other (one of which is bigger than the other, and both of which connect to the psu).

Also, what is this 2 pronged case entry detection connector on the motherboard for? I have no idea what I'm supposed to plug onto it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

general rule, if it plugs in, plug it in. You will need a 24 pin motherboard connector, which goes to the large hookup on your motherboard, and then dependent on motherboard/CPU you have, either a 4 pin or a 8 pin CPU plug, which should be located somewhere near the socket. If its a 8 pin hookup, and your PSU has a 8 pin hookup, then hook it up, if its only a 4 pin, then find the plug that fits in it, there will only be one-if you have to force it, its either the wrong one your your putting it in wrong.

the case entry hookup is a feature some cases have-its in essence a wire hooked up to the door of your case and plugged into those two prongs, when the case is opened, it pulls the wire out breaking the connection and warning you that it is open. Its not necessary for your computer to have it, with all the motherboards I have used with that feature I have never used it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Is it possible to rig up something like that entry warning to a case that doesn't have it? What's needed?

Also, I have an odd problem with a power LED. It has two wires, but the end has three holes. The middle hole is dead with no wire. But on the motherboard the only power led hookups are a 1 pin type and a 2 pin type.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

what motherboard do you have? exact model number. As far as the case wire, In theory all you would need is a wire, with female ends on each end, attach the middle wire to the case door, hook the female ends to the two prongs, fairly simple. Not sure why its needed, Ive never had a computer case door fall off on its own, I suppose its handy if your the type to forget to put it back on after your working on it but thats really an easy fix.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Don't need it. It just sounds cool so I thought I'd have it done.

Where do you get a wire like that with the ends?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hi,
They are very easy to break so be very careful.

That three wire power LED connector can be shifted to a two wire hookup.

What I mean is that there is a little tab that holds the wire into the plug. I usually lift it with the tip of a razor knife while pushing the wire towards where it plugs onto the motherboard, Then when the tab has lifted a little bit I gently pull the wire out.
Then keeping it oriented so that it goes into the center of the plug I just slide it in until it clicks and locks.

The trick is to look at where it plugs and make sure to move the right wire so that the empty hole hangs out in free space and not block the other pins on that motherboard connector.

The other option is to cut out the empty center of the plug and end up with two wires that can be attached seperate. You have to be careful there too. It is easy to cut to much out and end up with bare wires that won't stay attached if you remove all of the plastic.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Don't need it. It just sounds cool so I thought I'd have it done.

Where do you get a wire like that with the ends?

They come as part of the case usually. It isn't just a wire it is a wire with a plug on one end and a switch on the other end.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 printerandink

printerandink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

general rule, if it plugs in, plug it in. You will need a 24 pin motherboard connector, which goes to the large hookup on your motherboard, and then dependent on motherboard/CPU you have, either a 4 pin or a 8 pin CPU plug, which should be located somewhere near the socket. If its a 8 pin hookup, and your PSU has a 8 pin hookup, then hook it up, if its only a 4 pin, then find the plug that fits in it, there will only be one-if you have to force it, its either the wrong one your your putting it in wrong.

the case entry hookup is a feature some cases have-its in essence a wire hooked up to the door of your case and plugged into those two prongs, when the case is opened, it pulls the wire out breaking the connection and warning you that it is open. Its not necessary for your computer to have it, with all the motherboards I have used with that feature I have never used it.

Actually, with the big 24 pin mb connector I did have to force it a bit but it was connecting properly. They don't support the motherboards under that area for some reason. It would be nice if there was some sort of support for it there. I think the flexing made it more difficult.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

its a general rule. . .

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users