Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EULA for Adobe Reader X seems too much

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

After looking at the terms of use and user's license agreement before installing Adobe Reader X, the information seems like Adobe will look into everything you do and see when or while you use Adobe Reader. The description seems so excessive that I did not yet install the Reader. What is the reality about this? Does anyone know what information, seemingly personal as well, the company is looking at and collecting and where this information is going? Why is this product now not classed as spyware? The EULA description is more like the expressing of a security and identity risk. Anyone! Explain what this really is and means?

Correction: I already did install, but I did not yet agree to the EULA terms, so I cannot keep Adobe Reader X open and cannot therefore read any PDF's.

Edited by cafejose, 27 March 2012 - 05:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

there are alternatives to Adobe, such as FoxIT Reader.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

This is the pdf reader I use in Windows...Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF

Small program and fast. Like all freeware these days, pay attention during installation
for any toolbars, etc. being offered. Be sure to disallow any of those.
I don't know if Sumatra is doing that or not. Be safe.

Sumatra PDF is a free PDF, XPS, DjVu, CHM, Comic Book (CBZ and CBR) reader for Windows.

Sumatra PDF is small, portable and starts up very fast.

Simplicity of the user interface has a high priority.

Download
Download from here.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,791 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Or the one I've been using for 6 years+

PDF-XChange Viewer

All the suggested alternatives work. Just a matter of choice.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Or the one I've been using for 6 years+

PDF-XChange Viewer

+ 1