Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer startup incorrect

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SpiderGat

SpiderGat

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hello there Bleeping!

Seems I'm here entirely too often, I guess I love learning!

So a while back (maybe 2 months) I tweaked the startup programs and potentially disabled some necessary components by mistake.

When I start my computer now it is normal up until it gets to the user log in screen (Windows 7 on an ASUS) at which point nothing happens. The screen is black(but on). Now I have to wait a while, and I will eventually hear the welcoming sound for the user select window. At this point I have to wait about 10 seconds, and then hit the power button once to put the machine to sleep. Then the computer will turn off the monitor, go into sleep mode, at which time I wait 5 more seconds, hit the power button again, and then the user select screen shows up and the system runs normally.

I bought this computer used and the C drive is FILLED with useless, redundant fluff-ware from ASUS and Nokia and all that jazz.

Is there a way to find out what I disable by accident and re-enable it?

My C drive is also running very low on space because of all the fluff ware. Of 116Gig I have 8 gigs left. My D drive is 327Gig so I try to keep every program installation over there. But some of it slips over to the C drive no matter what.

I know it's 2 problems but I'll just the first one first! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Did you check online for Win 7 default startup services and creating another user account?

Tekken

#3 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

You may wish to try StartupLite. Simply download this tool to your desktop and run it. It will explain any optional auto-start programs on your system, and offer the option to stop these programs from starting at startup. This will result in fewer programs running when you boot your system, and should improve preformance.

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

You can do a system restore prior to the point you started disabling things. Once your computer is booting properly again, you can begin eliminating unnecessary startups. Please be sure to research each entry carefully. Also, make a note of just what you are disabling so that if something goes wrong you can reverse it. It would be a good idea to make a hard copy of your note as well.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users