Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive replacement options: Presario 2100

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm needing to replace the hard drive in an aged laptop: Compaq Presario 2100

The original drive is a Seagate ST93015A 30GB ATA-100

My question, will a drive such as THIS ONE which is listed for a "V2100", and Drive Type: Enhanced IDE (ATA-6 or PATA)work?

Or This one which is listed for a "2100" Enhanced IDE (ATA-6) also work?

Thanks for the help!

Oh, I'll also mention, this is a unit which hung during an OS re-install; hence the HD replacement. Thread HERE. This morning, while giving the Compaq a one over, I discovered one of the 2 ram sticks was not seated correctly. Could this have caused the OS load to hang, as opposed to the problem being a bad sector on the Hard Drive?

I did have to simply shut it down during the attempted OS re-install, as I seemed to hang 'forever' - so I'm not sure what I would do with the existing HD from this point.

Joe

Edited by Goldenvoice, 27 March 2012 - 02:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

did you try reseating the ram and try reinstalling windows again.

my opinion eithor drive will work for you

Edited by caperjac, 27 March 2012 - 03:00 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

looks like either one would work.

I can't say anything about the sellers however.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

You can get a 100GB for $50 at Amazon and might have an easier time dealing with any defects or replacements if you go through them than you would through an auction.

I replaced the drive in Presario 2200 a couple of months ago there for that price and I've been happy with it.

When you replace it, keep in mind that it may have an adapter on the drive that the new drive does not include and you need to gently pry it off of the old drive.

James

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

James, I'd pay a little bit extra to avoid going through a ebay auction!
That is very good advice to go to Amazon instead. plum forgot about the adapter.

I'll buy from Amazon, Newegg and during a blue moon at Tiger Direct. No Ebay however.

I knew a young lady made spare cash selling stuff from a drugstore on Ebay at a much higher price that she paid at the drugstore. Some of those buyers are just amazing. Lots of fakes of certain items on Ebay too. I saw a Office & Windows XP someone bought on Ebay. They asked does this look right. Hmmm... lets see burned disks, sharpie labeling, a sheet of paper with product keys. You tell me.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 March 2012 - 04:07 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Goldenvoice

Goldenvoice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

THIS is on the way. I tried Seatools last evening, but it would hang in the GUI...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users