Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Devive detected

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 skulldrinker

skulldrinker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

I have an HP 6609wm AMD laptop here and it has a red X on the sound icon. The sound device can not be found. According to my friend the sound was working originally with the installed OS of Vista. Not sure if it was Vista 32 or 64. Anyway so he formats the drive destroying the restore folder and installs Win 7 32bit on the hard drive. All of a sudden the sound doesn't work, with no device found. I tried everything I know to get this working. I looked everywhere I know. Phoenix Bios has nothing in settings for turning on or off. I tried loading default settings' nothing. I tried flashing the Bios with latest version (which ended up being the same) and nothing. I made an image of the Win 7 and installed a copy of my Vista 32 and did all sorts of prodding and poking, nothing. Loading drivers does nothing because there is no sound device anywhere in Device manager. I even installed SIW and it doesn't find any device. I took apart the laptop down to the motherboard to see if anything was disconnected but everything looked good. Even the headphone jacks do not work. No device = no sound. The only thing I haven't poked around in is the Registry. Does anyone have other ideas to either run a test or tweak a setting?

There is one thing I can't eliminate at this time and that is 32 bit verses 64 bit. The AMD CPU is a 64 bit and I am not sure if the original OS was But I kinda assume if the cpu was 64 then it probably shipped with 64. The Win 7 OS that they installed was 32 and the Vista I installed was also 32. Could it be that the sound device would work with a 64 and not 32?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

32 bit or 64 bit makes no difference.

Are there any devices in the device manager that show as needing drivers? The sound card may not show as sound but could show as a
pci device
multimedia device
etc.

Use Speccy to provide details of your computer's configuration.

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

Download, install, and run.
After Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
Click Yes. A web address will be displayed.
Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post.
Include your computer's manufacturer and model number, if available.

Then we can take a look and see if any sound device is showing somewhere.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 March 2012 - 02:53 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users