Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install New Devices/drivers Are Not Found

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bufflecopter

Bufflecopter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

Hi All,

I'm having a very bizarre problem with new devices. As near as I can tell my install wizard can't see any drivers. Even when I download drivers, or if the devices use the standard XP drivers, the wizard can't find them and I can't select them manually. They just aren't there.

Let me just say that even though I don't consider myself an "expert" I do tell people that I know enough to be dangerous and I have installed many new components on my computers over the years.

I first encountered this problem when I purchased a new Rosewill DVD/CD drive for my comp from New Egg. It didn't come with any drivers which I know is normal for this type of device since it uses drivers already installed by XP. Comp saw that there was a new device and wizard popped up. Clicked through all the defaults and expected to be on my merry way. Wrong..."there was a problem installing...yada yada"...wierd I thought. So I tried the DVD drive and it seemed to work fine. I used it to install a game (the reason I purchased it in the first place) and the game installed no problem. I popped a DVD in there and it played with the software I got from Rosewill, no problem. So i figured it was a hiccup and didn't think anything of it. Now whenever I restart the wizard pops up again for the DVD drive. Annoying but not the end of the world. I went into the device manager and looked at it and it says that there is no driver attached to it. When I went to search for the drivers manually there is nothing there...huh. Well annoying yes...end of the world no...I just moved on and figured when I get a new comp in 6 or 8 months it will be a problem gone by attrition.

Bout a month or 2 later I purchased a Palm. Same deal, but it is so annoying that I only use the Palm with my laptop since the Wizard pops up every minute even if you click cancel. Now I'm thinking...damn there is a problem here...but since I have my laptop...no biggie...easy work around.

Now I have inherited an HP Officejet 6110 all in one from one of my clients. Great deal for me cause I scan, copy, ton of printing and I can get it all in one device. I know I have the drivers for the 6110 on my comp cause I downloaded them from HP just to be sure. The 6110 appears in my device manager with a yellow question mark beside it. I know the pathway to the drivers for it but when I try to update they appear to not be there. Very frustrating.

I hope I'm just ignorant and some kind soul can enlighten me.

Basic info: I run XP, have SP2 installed, scan regularly for viruses (but I will again just for grins), and my comp seems to be running just fine other than this problem. Let me know if I need to post more info to start the troubleshoot.

Thanks.

BC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bufflecopter

Bufflecopter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:59 AM

Not one response? :thumbsup:

Is there any additional information that I can provide that can help the troubleshoot along?

BC

#3 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:05 AM

Sounds to me as if your motherboard may be going :thumbsup: .

How old is the desktop?

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#4 Bufflecopter

Bufflecopter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:46 AM

Hmmm...MB is over 3 years old...I think? LOL is there a way to tell how old it is without digging out the receipt. I'm thinking that is a clue that I need a new box. Gah...I was hoping to not have to rebuild until this summer.

Its an ASUS P4P800 and has been very reliable.

I'm curious as to what makes you think its hardware failure? This whole time I was thinking software.

#5 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:42 PM

I don't believe that there is any definite way to tell how old the Mother-Board is but:

What led me to this conclusion is the fact that the hardware works occasionally and is not always listed. This is usually do to the lack of response from the ports in which they correspond to, and that is usually caused by motherboard failure.

Hope that makes sense. If you would like, you could save any hardware you have with that computer seeing as it likely still works.

Edited by WlkingMan, 21 February 2006 - 03:42 PM.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#6 Bufflecopter

Bufflecopter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

What led me to this conclusion is the fact that the hardware works occasionally and is not always listed. This is usually do to the lack of response from the ports in which they correspond to, and that is usually caused by motherboard failure.

Hope that makes sense. If you would like, you could save any hardware you have with that computer seeing as it likely still works.

Apparently I'm not explaining problem very well.

Just to clarify the DVD/CD always works...not just occasionally...its just that everytime I restart my comp it acts like it was just installed and the Found New Hardware Wizard pops up. When I go through the new hardware wizard process it tells me that there was a problem installing my hardware and it might not work properly. The ports always see the devices when I plug them in its just that there are no drivers associated with them in the device manager. When I try to update the driver to get one associated with the device then it can't find the driver...even though I know it's there.

The ports themselves are working just fine because when I plug a USB device into my comp it sees it right away. The problem is in the installation process afterwards.

#7 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:26 PM

The thing is though, however, that when the motherboard begins to die, that is what generaly happens. You will still see the device but it will only work occasionally. Also: It is not every port that will have this problem. Your PCI slots may go first, or your IDE using devices, or USB, etc...

One more question however:

Is this device replacing a previous one?

Edited by WlkingMan, 21 February 2006 - 05:27 PM.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:43 PM

Wlkingman may be on to the cause of the trouble already, but may I add something here, even if it is out of turn? I just found this page that may relate to the problem, not sure. Check this out: http://tools.supportforyourpc.com/get_article.asp?aid=1094

When the Add New Hardware Wizard come up at boot press NEXT and let it run-at the end it will still say it cannot find the software but click FINISH instead of CANCEL and the wizard will stop coming up

Does that make sense? Does it help?
~~~~~~~~~~
Another idea: Although the problems appear related, they may not be. Let's take them one by one and start with the printer. Please read the installation instructions for your printer VERY CAREFULLY. They can be found HERE. We must cover the fundamentals here. Going to the device driver and clicking on the printer and then tying to install the driver is probably not the proper way to install this printer. Do NOT plug it into the computer (if you are using a USB) until prompted. You might have to start the software installing first, then plug in the printer when prompted. An alternative method may be to go to control panel>printers>add a printer. Follow the instructions at the link I supplied.

Uninstall anything related to the printer that you may have already installed, reboot, try to install.

Once we conquer the printer we can move on to the other devices, unless of course the mobo is in fact going bad. But carefully installing the printer may help lead us to that conclusion!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 21 February 2006 - 06:01 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 Bufflecopter

Bufflecopter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

The thing is though, however, that when the motherboard begins to die, that is what generaly happens. You will still see the device but it will only work occasionally. Also: It is not every port that will have this problem. Your PCI slots may go first, or your IDE using devices, or USB, etc...

One more question however:

Is this device replacing a previous one?

Yes I placed the device in a slot where there was another CD drive there before. But I also have the problem with devices that use USB ports as well.

#10 Bufflecopter

Bufflecopter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:05 PM

Wlkingman may be on to the cause of the trouble already, but may I add something here, even if it is out of turn? I just found this page that may relate to the problem, not sure. Check this out: http://tools.supportforyourpc.com/get_article.asp?aid=1094

When the Add New Hardware Wizard come up at boot press NEXT and let it run-at the end it will still say it cannot find the software but click FINISH instead of CANCEL and the wizard will stop coming up

Does that make sense? Does it help?
~~~~~~~~~~
Another idea: Although the problems appear related, they may not be. Let's take them one by one and start with the printer. Please read the installation instructions for your printer VERY CAREFULLY. They can be found HERE. We must cover the fundamentals here. Going to the device driver and clicking on the printer and then tying to install the driver is probably not the proper way to install this printer. Do NOT plug it into the computer (if you are using a USB) until prompted. You might have to start the software installing first, then plug in the printer when prompted. An alternative method may be to go to control panel>printers>add a printer. Follow the instructions at the link I supplied.

Uninstall anything related to the printer that you may have already installed, reboot, try to install.

Once we conquer the printer we can move on to the other devices, unless of course the mobo is in fact going bad. But carefully installing the printer may help lead us to that conclusion!

Hehe...yeah I went through all the instructions when I first got the device. I'm just telling you what I did to troubleshoot. I followed all the instructions to a T twice.

Meh...maybe I will take a distribution this month and rebuild.

#11 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:06 PM

Well just to be on the safe side I would follow Albert's instructions.

It does sound more and more like your motherboard though.... :thumbsup:

EDIT: Just read your post right after I replied. Sorry to break the bad news.

Edited by WlkingMan, 21 February 2006 - 06:07 PM.

-Unknown

Hacker != Cracker

#12 Bufflecopter

Bufflecopter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:07 AM

Thanks to all in the Chat Room that tried to help me with this stumper last night.

Might be looking for advise on grabbing some new parts for a re-build over the next couple of days. Got to look at where I am for the month for "project budget".

#13 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:44 AM

Here's an idea that worked for me w/a similar problem.Re-load your OS.I couldn't get my printer drivers to install and it did the trick.Just a suggestion and easy enough to try.

#14 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:20 AM

One reason that the drivers might not show up when you go to look for them is that your file type filter is set to not "see" what type of files you are looking for. When you get to the part where it lets you manually search for the driver, at the bottom of the window it should have a drop down menu labeled "Files of Type:" and it should say something about *.inf files in it. If not, then it should be changed to say *.inf. or All Files.

Also along the lines of the motherboard problem, it could be that the motherboard has bad caps. Unplug your computer, take the cover off, and touch the metal case (and wear an antistatic wrist strap if you have one) to discharge any static on you. Then check to see if any of the caps are bulging, or are leaking electrolyte. Here are some links of what they look like when theyre bad: www.asjohnson.com/ ~asjohn1/bad-caps.html www.interslice.org/ dell400sc/capacitors.htm

Good Luck

-Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users