Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP restarts itself

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Portagee

Portagee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Have an older HP pc w/Windows XP. It restarts itself seemingly at random, although more frequently when I try and play a cd or use streaming video. Had similar issues a couple of months ago which I was able to fix with help from several members of this forum, but the same fix isn't working this time. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#4 Zootopia3000

Zootopia3000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

I had an older HP last year that restarted at random(even with Automatically Restart unchecked in Startup and Recovery property settings), especially when watching flash streaming video. It ended up being bad capacitors on the mobo(4 were slightly bulged). Hope that's not the case for you. I ended up trashing the PC, but salvaged some parts. Good luck.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'd suggest bad capacitors are way down on the list of the likely causes of a blue screen error. Regardless, the blue screen report should help us identify the issue.

#6 Zootopia3000

Zootopia3000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Blue screen was not mentioned here, just random restarts out of the blue. Doesn't hurt to take a quick look inside the older PC for a visual inspection.

Edited by Zootopia3000, 28 March 2012 - 07:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users