Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Sound Windows XP SP3

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Working on an IBM ThinkCentre that at one point had working sound. I've spent some frustrating time going through forums (including ones on here) and trying different suggestions to no avail.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the RealTek audio drivers (from Realtek's website), they show up in my Device Manager under "Other devices" flagged as not working right as "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus." I'm thinking that this is probably the root of my problem - but I'm not sure the best way to correct it besides the mentioned re-installation.

Under "Sound, video and game controllers" are the following (all working according to Windows)"
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

Attached File  sounddrivers.JPG   39.52KB   9 downloads

I have checked that the following services are set to "Automatic":
Windows Audio, Universal Plug and Play Device Host, and Plug and Play.

Under Services "System speaker" says there are no drivers installed.

Speccy Snapshot:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/LtOgli14cyvlXDcSZx2JdLz

I am running Windows XP SP3, 2 GB RAM, Intel Pentium 4.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

Have you downloaded the drivers from IBM's site?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

I agree - go to the IBM website for your specific model and download and install BOTH the Realtek driver AND the correct chipset driver.

#4 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

I did download the audio drivers from IBM, I didn't think to try the chipset drivers... I'll give an update on how that works!

#5 Zootopia3000

Zootopia3000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

I usually find the right drivers by looking to the specific hardware properties at issue, then details tab and then google search the Ven_xxxx and/or Dev_xxxx number(s) listed, and corresponding subsys and rev numbers if need be, to get the proper drivers.

However, you did initially state that you got the drivers from RealTek, not IBM. From my past experience some realtek driver versions don't work well(if at all), depending on your make/model of realtek hardware. Better to check IBM again first off. If unsuccessful, try what I first mentioned.

Edited by Zootopia3000, 28 March 2012 - 02:08 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

The correct way to find drivers is the website of:

1) The computer manufacturer or

2) The specific hardware manufacturer

Google searches for drivers can lead to unwanted results

#7 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

I tried both Realtek and the IBM drivers, as at one point the PC was running correctly with Realtek audio drivers.

I just downloaded and reinstalled the chipset drivers from IBM (and the audio drivers as well), still no luck.

Secondary piece of information that I realized should have been stated in the first post, system sounds are off as well - no warning/welcoming beeps, bleeps or cheeps.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Okay, I know this is silly but please pacify me and make sure sounds aren't muted - take a look in the control panel app and make sure the settings are okay.

Edited by Allan, 28 March 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#9 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

I completely understand where you are coming from, having tried to help people over the phone and not being able to see what they are looking at or even knowing if they are meaning the same thing you are is difficult. I really really am grateful for this help.

Going into Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Device the Sounds tab everything is greyed out and it indicates no audio device. The Sounds tab I can change the system sounds settings, but the sound play button is greyed out. The only other tab that is not greyed out is "Hardware" where it lists codecs/drivers/devices which all claim they are working properly. If it would be useful I can snag screenshots of the different tabs.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

May I assume you've tried uninstalling the device in device manager and rebooting?

#11 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

I have uninstalled & reinstalled the Realtek driver, I have not uninstalled the supposedly working items listed under "Sound, video and game controllers":
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

I'm thinking that the sound problem might be related to the lack of system sounds, because this computer used to give an error warning at every "attention" message regardless of the sound settings and so it may have been turned off. I'm actually now looking into what someone might do to turn the system sounds off to see if I can reverse it.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

The system sounds can be found in Control Panel via the Sounds Control Panel.

#13 Zootopia3000

Zootopia3000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

The RealTek drivers must be uninstalled from Control Panel/Add-Remove. Uninstalling from Device Manager will still leave the old RealTek drivers behind.

#14 Zootopia3000

Zootopia3000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

The correct way to find drivers is the website of:

1) The computer manufacturer or

2) The specific hardware manufacturer

Google searches for drivers can lead to unwanted results

True, but sometimes a google search is needed as last resort. Case in point, my ATI Radeon X600 256mb Hypermemory graphics card. My older C-Media sound card would be another example.

#15 joggiwagga

joggiwagga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

The RealTek drivers must be uninstalled from Control Panel/Add-Remove. Uninstalling from Device Manager will still leave the old RealTek drivers behind.

Just in case I did it wrong I'll go through the uninstall/reinstall process again. Worse case scenario nothing changes and there's still no sound. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users