Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potential Hard Disk Failure???

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 noooobie

noooobie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

Please Help

I have a HP laptop, the version is: G56-130sa. When I bought the laptop there was a periodic clicking that would occur every few days, never having had a laptop before I thought this normal. My Laptop then failed to start as it used to, on a number of occasions saying there was “no boot device found, install boot device”. However the laptop would run if I tried to boot it up again. I then subsequently got a virus that was found by the Microsoft Security Essentials, and was removed by Windows Stand Alone Sweeper. This seemed to fix the problem but then I kept receiving a “SMART” message stating that “hard drive failure was imminent and to back up my files”. I was able to successfully back up 91% of my files before my Hard Drive crashed. It will no longer boot from the hard disk. I have read on here that someone else has had a similar problem, but this was a software error. I am not proficient enough to take out the hard disk and test to see if it is fine, as I only have the one laptop. Can anyone please tell me how to check to see if it is the hard disk, or the software that is the problem? If it is the hard drive can I then buy an external hard drive to replace my old hard drive as my laptop has just ran out of warranty (1year 2 month old laptop), and if so can anyone recommend a good reliable hard drive that is relatively inexpensive?

Thank you so much for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hi, The Hard Drive is bad from the sound of it.

I hope you made the recovery discs.

In terms of reliable most laptop drives are more or less the same. If it were mine at this time I would spend the extra and switch to a SSD drive.
The Samsung SSDs are good as are the Intel 320 series SSDs. With both you need to do the firmware upgrade to be sure they are up to date.

However they will be 2 or 3 times more expensive. In terms of standard hard drives Western Digital or Seagate are OK in general use.

Sorry to hear your problem. For future reference when you have problems like you were having with the drive not being detected is the time to get after warranty repairs.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users