Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Boot

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

Event Viewer has been showing warnings for Boot duration for several weeks. Typical Boot duration over this period has ranged from around 130000ms up to around 300000ms.

Any assistance as to why it's so long and how to fix it would really be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Please post pertinent content of EV error, as reflected.

Module, event number, source and the detail for a given error...should be included.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

What does the boot time translate to in minutes?

#4 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Event Properties

General

Boot Duration: 251398ms
IsDegradation: false

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational
Source: Diagnostics-Performance
Event ID: 100
Level: Critical
OpCode: Boot Information
Task Category: Boot Performance Monitoring

Details

- EventData

BootTsVersion 2
BootStartTime 2012-03-27T07:05:15.780Z
BootEndTime 2012-03-27T07:11:06.170Z
SystemBootInstance 2412
UserBootInstance 2367
BootTime 251398
MainPathBootTime 134098
BootKernelInitTime 89
BootDriverInitTime 24654
BootDevicesInitTime 5663
BootPrefetchInitTime 85595
BootPrefetchBytes 383234048
BootAutoChkTime 0
BootSmssInitTime 17852
BootCriticalServicesInitTime 1759
BootUserProfileProcessingTime 1838
BootMachineProfileProcessingTime 14
BootExplorerInitTime 21645
BootNumStartupApps 3
BootPostBootTime 117300
BootIsRebootAfterInstall false
BootRootCauseStepImprovementBits 0
BootRootCauseGradualImprovementBits 0
BootRootCauseStepDegradationBits 0
BootRootCauseGradualDegradationBits 0
BootIsDegradation false
BootIsStepDegradation false
BootIsGradualDegradation false
BootImprovementDelta 0
BootDegradationDelta 0
BootIsRootCauseIdentified false

In response to Allan, the boot time above of 251398ms is 251.398 seconds, so around 9 seconds short of 5 minutes. That's if I've understood it correctly, which I probably haven't.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

:) I really didn't want the math. I was hoping you'd boot the computer and see how long it takes for the desktop to load. If you have a chance, could you do that please - from power on until the desktop shows and then until it finishes loading and can be used. Thanks.

#6 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

:) I really didn't want the math. I was hoping you'd boot the computer and see how long it takes for the desktop to load. If you have a chance, could you do that please - from power on until the desktop shows and then until it finishes loading and can be used. Thanks.

From power on to when I'm asked for my password takes about 2 minutes 20 seconds. Then about 20 seconds until the desktop shows, then about 15 seconds until it's fully functional.

Just to fill you in on a bit of history. It was taking several minutes from entering my password until the desktop finished loading, but this is much quicker now. The culprit appeared to be Avast free anti virus. After a clean install yesterday this time is now much shorter.

However, there is still the problem of a long boot time from power on until I'm asked for my password. As I said in the first paragraph, this time is typically now around 2 minutes 20 secs.

Help would still be very much appreciated.

Edited by n01paranoid, 28 March 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

I don't see any problem with your current boot time.

#8 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

Thanks for your responses Allan. However, I believe the boot time is very much a problem. Indeed, the most recent boot time of just over 150 seconds has been flagged as critical in event viewer.

So I say again. Can anyone provide any help or guidance as to how to rectify this?

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

You really should stay out of event viewer. It can drive you nuts. 2-3 minutes is not a very long boot time. But okay, if you insist on playing around with it here's what you do:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Edited by Allan, 29 March 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#10 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thanks alot. Haven't got time right now, but when I have I'll have a go at that.

#11 n01paranoid

n01paranoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

Just to let people know what I did to fix the slow boot 'problem'. After trawling the internet for a solution, I came across an interesting topic (see link below). Apparently Vista has its own built-in Boot file defrag but it only operates when a PC is idle thus, for many, it will never see any action. The 2 commands shown in the link below invoke this defrag. After using it, my boot time from power on to log on password request has shortened massively to 55 seconds. There are also a number of other Vista tweaks recommended at the beginning of the topic:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/microsoft-windows-xp-vista/166532-nbr-vista-tips-tweaks-guide-79.html#post2737834

There's also another tweak I found which supposedly shortens boot time, but it involves more messing around with the registry and multiple reboots, as follows:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140262-how-to-speed-up-boot-process-under-windows-vista-or-windows-7/

Edited by n01paranoid, 06 April 2012 - 02:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users