Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SweetIM - bad??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Farrah2

Farrah2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:44 AM

Hi Bleeping Computer gurus

I was surfing the net when I got a pop up box saying my home page had been changed to SweetIM. I clicked on Do not allow but it went ahead and made itself my homepage. I've now also got a SweetIM menu bar underneath my usual one.

I have been doing some research on the net and found sources saying it is spyware and notoriously difficult to remove.

Is SweetIM bad and if so, can you please let me know how to remove it?

I am running a SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition scan on my computer at the moment but all that's been picked up so far is an Adware.Tracking Cookie.

Thanks very much for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

SweetIM is not malware and is offered at reputable download hosting sites like CNET. There was a lengthy discussion at the Spybot S&D forums about it.

Many toolbars, Add-ons, screensavers, and weather monitoring programs come bundled with other software and can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware. They usually can be removed via Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7, so always check there first.

Note: It may be listed under a modified name such as Macromedia SweetIM.

If nothing is listed in Add/Remove or Programs and Features, check Internet Explorer's Manage Add-ons where they can be disabled:
If using Firefox or Google Chrome, please refer to:
The vendor also has removal instructions posted in their FAQ: Install / Uninstall section.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users