Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Boot Into Windows7...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cal_Bear1982

Cal_Bear1982

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hello! I'm not sure this is the correct forum, and I apologize in advance for my lack of vernacular when it comes to computers. I will do my best to explain the issues. I have been reading in the different forums over the last few days, and found some things I thought about trying, but then I read the warnings about not doing anything
"unguided" so I have held off. Unfortunately, do to the nature of the problem, I am unable to provide any of the logs requested in the problem solving guide.

Computer: Acer Aspire One 722 notebook/AMD Dual-Core Processor C60/4GB DDR3 mem/320GB hdd/Windows Home Premium 64Bit.

Prior to Problem: Put Computer in "Sleep Mode"...Next day opened notebook and it had shut completely down. Hit Start and the following error message appeared: "Computer unable to come out of Hibernation". Was unable to navigate past this message. Could not shut down with Ctrl+Alt+Del...Shut down pressing start button.

Problem: On reboot, brought to a screen saying something about the computer did not shut down properly and listed two options #1-Repair #2-Start Normally. #2 simply looped back to this message. #1- Runs for atleast 30 - 45 min and gives the following results. Sometimes it will bring up the System Recovery Options...Most often it simply cycles automatically to "start-up repair" and after running for another 20 - 30 min, loops back to the original screen with two options. Generally I just let it loop until the System recovery Options screen appears (Several hours).

Results of Recovery Tools:

1--Start up repair...Loops back to orginal Boot up screen offering the choices of repair or start normally. (No error messages shown)
2--System Restore..."No restore points have been created on your computer" (I have created them prior to the crash.)
3--System Image Recovery...No image found.
4--Windows Memory Diagnostic...No errors detected. (Cycles back to boot up options)
5--Command Prompt...DOS box appears.
6--Recovery Management...Have not tested...Trying to avoid losing material.

I do have original versions of the recovery disks (4) provided by Acer, but obviously would like to try and save my information before attempting a fresh install.

Thank you kindly for your time and consideration in this matter...I will be happy to provide further info (If able) LOL!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

I do have original versions of the recovery disks (4) provided by Acer, but obviously would like to try and save my information before attempting a fresh install.

Cal_Bear1982, give this a try to rescue any important files.

Recover your Documents from an unbootable Windows System:
If your computer is non-bootable and has a CD\DVDROM drive, you can problably access and copy your documents using an "alternative" operating system "Live CD."

While there are many ways to accomplish this, one of the fastest and easiest is using a Puppy Linux live CD.

What you will need:
Another computer with internet connection and a CD burner, software capable for "burning an "iso" image to CD", a blank recordable CD disc, and a USB Flash drive or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.

Start by downloading Lucid Puppy Linux (129 MB) from here or here.
  • Burn the iso file to CD.
  • Don't have the appropriate software or don't know how to burn the iso file to make the CD bootable. (See how to).
  • Make sure your computer is set to boot from CD/DVD drive first. (See how to)
  • Boot the computer with the newly created CD.
  • Puppy Linux is a "Live CD" which means that it runs outside of the windows operating system that is on your computer.
  • Puppy should progress and run automatically. When the desktop loads, click "OK" at the Personal Settings screen.
  • Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button. They represent each drive on your computer. Plug in your USB Flash drive if you haven't already. The flash drive icon will soon appear.

Posted Image
  • Unlike Windows, in Puppy you only have to mouse click once on an icon to open it.
  • Find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda").
  • Note: use the green arrow (top left) on screen to go back up a directory.
  • WINDOWS Vista and 7 - Click once on your hard drive. Go to "My Documents" folder by clicking "Users," then "<YourUserName>." You will see the "My Documents" folder.
  • Click once on your USB drive. Now arrange the two screens by dragging them using the top, title bar so that both are visible; one on top of the other. Each window can be made smaller by positioning your mouse either on the top or right side of each window.

Posted Image
  • Drag the "My Documents" folder into the USB drive and release. Click "Copy." Do the same for any other folders or files that are important.
  • You may remove the Flash drive by right mouse clicking on the desktop Flash drive icon and selecting "dismount" to transfer your data to another computer. Re-insert the Flash drive back into the unbootable computer to copy additional data.
  • To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot." You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings. Arrow over to "Do Not Save" and press <Enter>. The system will reboot. Remove the CD.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Cal_Bear1982

Cal_Bear1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the response "Artrooks"!

Been working on this as you described. Downloaded Img.burn/Lucid Puppy...Started iso burn and got the following error message: ""Verify Failed...Reason: Layouts Do Not Match...Stuck here.

So, I am unable to burn the image to cd to continue...(Obvious user error ...LOL) Suggestions??

Thank you kindly...

Edited by Cal_Bear1982, 27 March 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Try to download the puppy linux iso file again. The downloaded file may be corrupt.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Cal_Bear1982

Cal_Bear1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

...Ok, On it! Also trolled over to the "imgBurn" forum via the help link in the application; and someone with the same error message was told to vary the speed of the download? Anyways took about 45 min to download "puppy" last time, so I'll get to it...

OOOPPPS, guess I need to ask: Do I have to uninstall puppy, then reinstall, or just download over it?

Sorry :wacko:

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

You can delete the old "Lupu-5.28.iso" file, then download a fresh copy. Nothing is installed on the computer so there is no uninstall to perform. You will use ImgBurn to burn the lupu iso file to a CD. This will make the CD bootable and hopefully allow you to access files on the Acer Inspire.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Cal_Bear1982

Cal_Bear1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Success!..Kind of :wink:

Was able to run "the Pup" and access the hard drive. :thumbsup: That "puppy" is a cool tool, amazing to see the computer boot up and the drives appear, very interesting stuff. However, some of the files were empty? Was able to save my photos, and some documents, but none of my favorites/websites, etc. showed up anywhere...Happy to have some of it back (especially the photos of the trip to Alaska), but guess I need to store/back ALL this to a separate device from now on...

I started a system restore from the recovery options menu, and it is sitting at 99%, the elapsed time clock is still running so I will let it go for a while longer, then attempt a fresh install using the disks. Drive is Western Digital, and I found a tool on their website to test the HD, but I could not get it to run the check.

Thanks "Artrooks" for your time and help, I'll post after the install attempts, but I am fearing hard drive problems.

Edited by Cal_Bear1982, 28 March 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Run Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS:

Follow this link , arrow down, and download "Diag504fCD.iso."
  • Burn the "Iso" image to a CD.
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • During installation you may want to uncheck the box to add the Ask Toolbar.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Run the short test first and then the extended test.
  • Both tests should "Pass." Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.
  • If it offers to repair the drive, allow it (but only if all data has been backed up).

Regards,
Brooks

#9 Cal_Bear1982

Cal_Bear1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

RATS!! Looks like I'm toast>>>Both Quick/Extended runs gave the following: "Warning! One or more current or worst-case attributes are below threshold. Hit any key to continue..." When I hit a key, says the system must be reset...No option to fix. Should I try to use the System Disks, or is it a waste of time?

Once again, thank you!!

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

It sounds as if there are problems reported in the SMART (Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology) attributes of the drive. You won't have a reliable system if you don't replace the hard drive. Make sure to replace it with a drive of at least the same size (a little larger would be safer) as the restoration DVDs are probably a set of image files.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 Cal_Bear1982

Cal_Bear1982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Ok Art...

Thought I was outside of warranty, but when browsing the Acer website, warranty showed 65 days remaining. :clapping: Will be sending to them for hard drive repair/replacement.

Much thanks to you and Bleeping Computer!!
My Best...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users