Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refurbished? Taking chances on computers returned

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Looking forward(?) to the time when Windows XP will no longer be supported, I might try to buy a new, inexpensive laptop with its up-to-date operating system (Windows) and correspondingly better speed and hard disc capacity. Other than the frequent special deals offered through some big name stores, some stores also sell refurbished computers. How are the chances of getting something reliable which has been refurbished?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hello

This is just me but a refurbished computer is outside my comfort zone for buying. How much of a gambler are you?

Many times the Refurbished computer has only 90 days warranty and by the time you buy another year warranty extension the cost savings have vanished.

Note that refurbished is different than Used.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

I bought a refurbished HP laptop 6 years ago, and its still working fine, it came with a one year warranty (and yes they honored it) the only issue I had with it, was one week before the warranty expired, the screen went out-called up HP, they then express shipped the packaging for the HP to me, I mailed it to them, and had it back to me with a brand new screen with 2 days left on the warranty, and they paid for overnight shipping each way, I wasnt out a dime. I havent had a single problem with it since, love it. granted, I dont use it to game with, but I wouldnt use any laptop to game with. If you go the refurbised route, make sure you get it from a reputable seller like newegg, or tigerdirect, and check the warranty. I got mine from techforless and can recomend them. I also bought my wife a refurbished compaq laptop about a year ago, and havent had any issues with it either. Personally, with laptops since I use them pretty much for their portability, I like refurbished laptops they save me a lot of money. If I want a computer to do any sort of performance computing, like heavy duty gaming, then I would recomend building a desktop with quality, brand new parts.

Also, take a close look at the sellers definition of refurbished. A lot of retailers just take in a used laptop do a quick lookover, and if somethings glaringly wrong they fix that and leave it at that. Some go through and do a thorough check, reformat and test everything, but many retailers dont list their process, so that can be a gamble sometimes-Look for factory refurbished laptops, techforless primarily sells factory refurbished laptops, and with them you know the company has gone through and thoroughly refurbished it which gives you a better chance of getting your moneys worth, and they often have longer then a 90 day warranty.

Edited by the_patriot11, 26 March 2012 - 07:03 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

As the_patriot11 has said watch out for used and checked being sold as refurbished.

I'll go one step further, it has to be refurbished by the maker of the laptop.

Factory refurbished is such a loose term.

If I set up my little shed out in the back yard (My Factory) and do My refurbishing there I could in theory stick a factory refurbished sticker on the product since that little shed is my factory.

The maker has access to needed parts to repair any cosmetic and functional damage. An outside refurbisher may just use any old used parts or hack a fix to save money.

Considering that I only spent $329 when I bought my New laptop and less when I bought the used Toshiba I also have.
In that case I knew the motherboard had been replaced under warranty and that for an extra $40 I could replace the keyboard and Heat sink assembly. As well as approx two months factory warranty left.

I can't always see buying refurbs. I just keep an eye out for sales on new.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 March 2012 - 10:04 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

My two cents...

The refurb landscape has changed, not for the better.

In former years, a refurb often had original warranty and could be counted upon by virtue of the warranty and the fact that it had been refurbed to "factory standards."

That's not true any more...warranties these days are often merely 90 days and all customer recourse is to the a 3d-party outfit that relieves the system manufacturer of all liability for refurbished systems. If you bother to examine the wording/explanation available on such systems, this will become apparent to you.

In today's world, buying a new system is practically the only way to obtain any guarantee of product support for users who do not or cannot intend to self-repair. If it's an OEM system, any attempt at self-repair will probably void the warranty and...if a user thinks that he/she can repair an OEM system sans help...then he/she probably ought to be building a system, rather than buying an OEM system.

Louis

#6 preferred user 1955

preferred user 1955

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I bought an factory refurbished HP p7 desktop i3 2100 system 6 mo ago on epay no issues has 1 yr factory warranty confirmed online w/HP looked new (maybe it was). Sometimes unused ones end up in the re seller channel for various reasons cancelled/returned orders overstock etc. Bearing in mind that the model I purchased was less than 6 mo. old that is possible.It was a CTO model HP's nomenclature meaning configured to order so it may have been a or returned or cancelled order. saved about 40% YMMV

Edited by preferred user 1955, 28 April 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

My two cents...

The refurb landscape has changed, not for the better.

In former years, a refurb often had original warranty and could be counted upon by virtue of the warranty and the fact that it had been refurbed to "factory standards."

That's not true any more...warranties these days are often merely 90 days and all customer recourse is to the a 3d-party outfit that relieves the system manufacturer of all liability for refurbished systems. If you bother to examine the wording/explanation available on such systems, this will become apparent to you.

In today's world, buying a new system is practically the only way to obtain any guarantee of product support for users who do not or cannot intend to self-repair. If it's an OEM system, any attempt at self-repair will probably void the warranty and...if a user thinks that he/she can repair an OEM system sans help...then he/she probably ought to be building a system, rather than buying an OEM system.

Louis

Well thought out and concise.

Best Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users