Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I really need this security prog?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi, I just got an advertising mail from my net provider trying to sell me a scurity program called 'SafeCentral' for 2.99 GB Pounds (about 5 dollars) per month, shall I get it just to be on the safe side, or is it just scareware that i don't really need?
(I've already got AVG and AdAware progs)
I know 2.99 is peanuts but it's the principle, i don't want to be milked for something i might not need that would also clutter up my system-
Here's their advertising blurb-

"With Cybercrime costing the UK economy £27bn per year the threat is more real than ever. Traditional security solutions clearly aren't enough to protect your identity and your most sensitive transactions online.
SafeCentral is a next generation security approach creating a virtual "concrete bunker" for browsing and online purchases, protecting you and your family from the trickiest cyber criminals and identity thieves"

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 26 March 2012 - 12:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

About SafeCentral

SafeCentral Review by PC Mag

Pros
Secures and verifies Internet access to thousands of sensitive sites. IE/Firefox plug-in for quick access. Blocks keyloggers, prevents screen capture. Bypasses easily fooled Windows DNS.

Cons
Significantly slows browsing when pages have a lot of data and images. Doesn't directly identify fraudulent sites. Prevents use of password managers for log-in.

Bottom Line
SafeCentral offers secure browsing and special verification for thousands of sensitive sites. It blocks keyloggers and keeps your browsing activity isolated from other processes. It's slower than IE or Firefox but offers serious protection for financial and sensitive online interactions.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thanks, but i'm still undecided. On the one hand it increases security, but on the other it slows down browsing.
Do most of you Bleeping members use it or anything like it?

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 27 March 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm not aware of anyone that uses it...but we have a lot of members.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm not aware of anyone that uses it...but we have a lot of members.

+1

Add to that I did a quick search for this product and this is the only topic at BC discussing it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users