Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some local Techs needs a SLAP

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

I get the thing about the war between operating systems, I really do.

MS, touts that they are the best and they have all this and that in the numbers of machines their products are on. Ease of use and such and so on. Yes I agree.

Mac, touts that they are more secure than anything that the other major has. For some reason this OS seems backwards to me, no idea why and as I've never used a Mac, I cannot explain that further.

When I was looking to find a new OS, I went with a third choice, Linux, (there may be more OS out there but this is the one I picked and work with).

Now to all you computer users, new and old hands, that are having problems with a physical part of your machine (the hardware including the buttons, switches or whatever you have on the case), think about this. What on a machine can be broken that cannot be replaced?

For me the answer to that question is nothing except the motherboard. The fix there is to get another motherboard. That should be your answer as well. Every part of a machine can be replaced if it breaks. Parts in a computer are like the parts in your car, they break down and need replacement.

I understand that not everyone is tech savvy and looking inside the box make some people hyperventilate until they pass out, so they take their machines to the local computer tech shop for a fix up. There is nothing wrong with that.

The same can be said for computer software. Things will break down, not function, act weird and all that. Sometimes all one needs to do is get a fresh install of a program, or update the old install from the software manufacturer. Other times you have to spend money to get a new program. That is just how things work. (I'm not speaking on viruses and such as those are fixable right here through the folks at Bleeping Computer.)

My problem is, and what really gets my hackles up, is when a local computer builder and tech shop tells a customer who decided to go with a Linux OS, that ANYTHING MS the customer puts on a Linux will BREAK the machine. That is just pure fear mongering. When an associate of mine explained to me, that his local computer tech told him that, I was not amused. It made me want to find that computer shop and slap the daylights out of that tech. Seriously! BREAK a machine? :lmao: How ridiculous and so closed minded that tech is.

People, understand that there are hard core MS and MAC people that despise anything that is not what they use. Always will be in the war of the Computer Operating Systems. But if you take your machine to a local shop, and your machine is not an OS by the two majors, and a tech tells you that ANY programs by the majors you put on your machine will BREAK your machine, it is time to find another tech shop.

Granted with some programs there are some licensing issues, but those can be fixed.

Castoffpolite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users