Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop only boots in safe mode, no wireless, sleep light lit, no power options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 steve42day

steve42day

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

I’m working on my daughter’s MSI A6200 laptop running Windows 7, Home Premium, 64 bit.

The computer was freezing up from time to time and then stopped working. It hung up when I tried to reboot. I went to safe mode, used msconfig to turn off all system services and start-up programs, rebooted but no change. Rebooted in safe mode with networking but all network connections are gone, the wireless adapter seems disabled but it does show in Device Manager. Interestingly, the “sleep” light on the laptop is lit. I opened control panel and clicked on Power options but nothing happens.

I downloaded Norton’s emergency bootable recovery tool and booted via a USB drive. I scanned the laptop and it found a virus but I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t write down what it was (I foolishly thought I was done). I ran it again and it came up with nothing. There may be a log somewhere but I couldn’t find it this morning. I have a feeling the virus did some damage before I removed it.

Can you help me repair my laptop? Get my wireless adapter back and resolve the power/sleep mode issue?

Thanks very much!
Steve

Edited by hamluis, 26 March 2012 - 04:49 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

That really, really sounds like a motherboard problem.

To eliminate hardware as a possibility I'd back up the data and reinstall to see if it fixes it or not.

Alternatively, you could try booting it off of a linux live distro CD to see if it keeps up its shenanigans.

People write bugs to do strange things though. Is the sleep light lit prior to windows actually booting, or only when in windows?

#3 steve42day

steve42day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for your reply!

By ‘motherboard’ and hardware problem do you mean “time to buy a new laptop” problem(?)

I did back up all the MyDocuments folders, etc. Thanks.

BTW, the Sleep light comes as soon as the laptop powers up, before booting up.

When you say re-install do you mean wipe the drive and reinstall Windows? That would be pretty drastic and of course involves reinstalling all the software which is always a little shaky. Is there anything less intense that I might try?

Thanks again,
Steve

#4 steve42day

steve42day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

UPDATE

In trying to diagnose the problem I had turned off all system services (via msconfig) including those required for accessing my wireless network and my power options.

I turned them back on and I can boot up in safe mode, I have internet access. It still hangs on a standard boot up.

Any idea how I can identify the problem?

Thanks,
Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users