Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extra Letters Typed

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Linksman

Linksman

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

I have a fairly old laptop (Fujitsu Siemens) apart form the odd spyware attack it's been great.

However, lately for no apparent reason when I type some letters an extra letter is added.

ie: it mainly happens with the letter "r"..... if I type the word sorry it comes out as sorwrwy with 2 extra "w" It seems only the letter "w" is added or sometimes like in writing "and" it comes out as "wand".

I have ran Spybot, Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and picked up a few problems but it hasn't solved it.

I haven't spilled anything on the keyboard, it happens from cold and it doesn't matter if if I'm online searching google or just writing on wordpad.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Just out of curiousity, what type of problems did MBAM and SuperAntispyware detect?

Edited by spc3rd, 26 March 2012 - 09:38 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#3 Linksman

Linksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Nothing malicious Super came up with a number of adaware things and MBAM came up with this:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\TempDIR\BetterInstaller.exe (PUP.BundleInstaller.Somoto)

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Does it do the same thing in safe mode?

#5 Linksman

Linksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Must admit I haven't tried the safe mode yet, that my next task. I was wondering if it could be a virus or computer error or if anyone else had come across it.

#6 Linksman

Linksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

I have tried the safe mode and the error still occurs......does this mean I have a problem with my actual keyboard on my laptop?

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Almost certainly. I suggest connecting an external keyboard and see if the same thing happens - I'm guessing it won't. If it doesn't, there's a problem with the existing keyboard.

#8 Linksman

Linksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:18 AM

Ok thanks that's what I thought it might be after trying everything else. Will get another keyboard now I'm back in the office.

Just a quick question.....if it is the keyboard on my laptop faulty as is likely, is it easily fixable would it be as simple as an accumulation of dust or more likely to be a connection/electrical fault?

Thanks for your input :thumbup2:

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:43 AM

I have ran Spybot, Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and picked up a few problems but it hasn't solved it.

Hi -
You have listed a few anti malware programs, but do you have a decent Antivirus program installed ??

Just a quick question.....if it is the keyboard on my laptop faulty as is likely, is it easily fixable would it be as simple as an accumulation of dust or more likely to be a connection/electrical fault?

Yes, but as you say it is an old unit that you are playing with, I would try the plugged in keyboard first -

Just FYI - (PUP.BundleInstaller.Somoto) is only a referral to (Potentially Unwanted Program) under the new Malwarebytes program system

Regards -

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

Ok thanks that's what I thought it might be after trying everything else. Will get another keyboard now I'm back in the office.

Thanks for your input :thumbup2:

It could be - hard to tell from here ;). My guess, however, is the keyboard will need to be replaced or worked on by a technician.

#11 Linksman

Linksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hi Noknojon

Yes I do have Avira as a running antivirus installed. A couple of years ago had a big virus problem and one of the guys from BC sorted it out for me and recommended I use it.

Thanks for your advice re the Malwarebytes, I didn't appreciate that.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi Noknojon
Thanks for your advice re the Malwarebytes, I didn't appreciate that.

Hi Linksman -
Sorry if I said something wrong, but I do not understand exactly what it was ??

I was only trying to explain the new Malwarebytes program ID system, which I am quite familiar with -

One can only read what is presented on an open forum, and respond with some (hopefully) helpful advice -

Regards -

#13 Linksman

Linksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

Hi Noknojon

Sorry on part! What I meant was I didn't appreciate what that the Malwarebytes actually referred to:

"Just FYI - (PUP.BundleInstaller.Somoto) is only a referral to (Potentially Unwanted Program) under the new Malwarebytes program system"

it wasn't that I didn't appreciate your help and advice, just the opposite. I really appreciated your input and many thanks for taking the trouble to explain it to me :thumbup2:

Kind regards

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

Thank you and now I understand - :)

If you wish to change these settings, it is quite simple -

Open Malwarebytes > Across the top of the MBAM program face, go to > Settings > Scanner Settings > Action for potentially unwanted programs (PUP); use the drop-down menu to select Show Results / Do not show Results ETC -

The same action is available for peer-to-peer software; (P2P) -

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 31 March 2012 - 05:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users