Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I turn the cable broadband in my house to a wifi hotspot?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Other than the cable broadband internet connection that I use for my PC, I have a wifi TV and a smartphone and also other wifi peripherals which I want to connect to the internet. Is there a way that I can convert my broadband cable connection to a wifi hotspot by using some sort of a router or something? And if yes, then how? What are the best tools?

I'd love help. Thanks. :)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 26 March 2012 - 06:32 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

Hello,

You would need to buy a wireless router. Something like this should do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314063

There are other brands out on the market but I prefer belkin over most others. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

Will there be any significant differences in speed - download/upload? And can I connect the broadband cable first to my primary computer and then to the router? - So that even when if the router stops working I'll still have my connection on my PC?

And thanks. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

The routers are pretty reliable, although i cannot advise on how to set it up, (that is something you need to ask your cable internet provider) I can say that there shouldn't be any speed drop. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hi, Do not forget to set encryption on the router as well a a user name and Password.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Will there be any significant differences in speed - download/upload? And can I connect the broadband cable first to my primary computer and then to the router? - So that even when if the router stops working I'll still have my connection on my PC?

And thanks. :)

If the router stops working and the pc is physically connected to the router the you will NOT get a connection on the pc. You would have to hook up the pc directly to the modem for a connection.

edited to correct a typing error

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 March 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

You can use an ethernet switch with several ports. Some cost as little as $10.
No set up or hassle to use. Simply hook switch up directly to cable modem.
Then you will have several switch ports to plug in router and more than one computer or
something like a Skype portable phone modem.

An example of a switch: Amazon.com: TRENDnet TE100-S5 5-Port Ethernet Switch (5 x 10/100Mbps Auto-MDIX RJ-45 Ports): Electronics
Switches come in different quantity of ports.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks a lot for the info guys.
SYSTEM SPECS.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

HI, do not forget one other thing. You will most likely have to hook up the router then power cycle the Modem and the router so the modem can setup to us the router. If you later on unhook the router you will have to power cycle the modem and whatever you hook up in place of the router.

And sometimes you just need to power cycle them anyway to clear up glitches.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

Thanks a lot guys!
SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users