Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ie8 and ie7 folders

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Racer94

Racer94

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

on a older system i have (upgraded to xp) when i explore the folders in windows there are old folders for both ie7, ie7 updates, ie8, ie8 updates. I am wondering if the old ie7 folders are needed and can they be removed safely? I am trying to get rid of excess folders and junk on my computer. trying to update as many programs as possible but remove junk folders etc before i reinstall. thanks for all help. Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hi -
Download TFC Cleaner to desktop, double click the Black Garbage can icon and this will remove unwanted Temp Files -

Always remember to reboot after using the program, even if it forgets to "remind you" -

All others will be removed when you reinstall your XP -

Regards -

#3 Zootopia3000

Zootopia3000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

Once I determine that the latest MS updates have no issues, I delete them all: them hidden system, blue font type funky named folders at top of Windows folder directory that come right before the 'addins' folder; the IE8(or 7)updates folder contents, and also the folders(and ONLY the folders) contained within the Windows/SoftwareDistribution/Download folder. Never had issues doing this and have been doing it for years now.

If you're not comfortable with doing this, especially with my directions given, then don't do it. I take no responsibility for your final decision on this matter. Me, I likes to save drive space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users