Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Daily Freeze...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Djimbe

Djimbe

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

My laptop locks up/freezes at least once a day. The more Im doing the faster this seems to happen. Im not talking about power use here, I play instructional videos on this thing, use it to browse, etc... if I open up an explorer window, IE/chrome and play a video at the same time it WILL freeze within 12 hours. I dont think it has to do with temp, it seems to have to do with how much "work" the computer has done total. The more things you do, the faster the freeze... I dont know, its wierd and hard to get a feel on.

By freeze I mean that whatever was on your screen becomes a still image, the mouse/cursor wont move, the clock stays at whatever time it froze up at, and it accepts no imputs, and I just have to Hard Reset it via the power button. Also, if Im watching a Video of any kind I know its going to do it soon by the fact that the videos will start to "skip" like a record (but faster) - so if the person speaking onscreen says the word "I", for example, it can last 2-10 seconds, then the video will keep playing. usually this wont happen more than 4 times before lockup.

My Computer :

Windows 7 Home Premium
SP1

HP G62 notebook pc
AMD Athlon II P340 Dual-Core processor 2.20GHZ
Installed RAM: 3.00 GB (2.74 GB useable)
64 bit operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

Hi -
Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<-- Directions

It sounds like there is more than a usual simple freeze
Have you been keeping an eye on all the temps, or which ones seem too high -

Thanks -

#3 Djimbe

Djimbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lkHJCNbbEiQoJ7k7F8m67a8

#4 Djimbe

Djimbe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

bump?

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

Hi Djimbe,

I'm not an expert but I have a few thoughts.

This is your HP G62 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide (PDF).

1.) It would make sense to start by running some basic hardware diagnostics. Your computer has built-in hardware diagnostics accessible from the setup utility (refer to pages 83-87 of your manual). Run the hard drive and memory tests.

2.) Frequent "hard resets" can be tough on the hard drive file system. If your hard drive passes the HP diagnostic test without errors, then run a "chkdsk /r" from an administrative command prompt. (note the space between the "k" and the "/")
  • You will have to reboot for Check Disk to start.
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages and could take several hours to complete. This can not be stopped.
  • You can view a log of what Check Disk found and repaired by following below:
  • In the search box type "Event" and click on "Event Viewer" in top column.
  • Click on "Windows Logs" -->"Application." Click the "Source" tab ( top, right) to alphabetize that column.
  • Arrow down to "Winlogon" and select the most recent Check Disk report.
  • If Check Disk found and repaired errors, I would run it again.

3.) From the Speccy report:

CPU
AMD K10: 75 C
45nm Technology

Motherboard
Hewlett-Packard 1444 (Socket S1G4): 74 C

You stated that you didn't think that the problem was temperature related but if these are average system load temperatures (non intensive computing), they seem a bit high to me.
  • You could try to lower general temperatures by cleaning intake and exhaust vents with some compressed air.
  • Adjust Power Options from Control Panel. View all advanced options for your "Active power scheme: Home/Office Desk." Maybe if you adjusted settings to turn off display, hard drive, allow suspend, etc., it may help lower temps somewhat.
  • A laptop cooler is another effective possibility.

4.) You could download and install Speedfan_446.exe. keep it open on your desktop to monitor temperatures.

Others may have different thoughts.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users