Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mice Not Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Icefall

Icefall

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

I'm posting on behalf of my friend who is currently trying to sort this out. Earlier today a cup got bumped into his keyboard and mouse, not a spill, but something seems to be wrong now. His mouse (brand new as of about a week) is now having the left click act like right click and right click does nothing. This happens with the wired USB mouse plugged into other ports, in safe mode, and even if he uses another wired USB mouse entirely. He tried checking the box in mouse settings about reversing button effects, but that didn't change anything about the mouse's behaviour. He's tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, but that didn't work.

He has had success with getting a third mouse to work properly, which is a wireless USB model, but its only on loan until this can be sorted out. He has tested the various mice on a second computer with varying results:
Computer 1 + Wired USB Mouse 1 = left click acts as right click
Computer 1 + Wired USB Mouse 2 = left click acts as right click
Computer 1 + Wireless USB Mouse 1 = normal activity
Computer 2 + Wired USB Mouse 1 = left click acts as right click
Computer 2 + Wired USB Mouse 2 = normal activity
Computer 2 + Wireless USB Mouse 1 = normal activity

He is currently on Windows 7 64bit edition.

Thank you in advance for your insight and advice regarding this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Icefall

Icefall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Is it possible for the Plug & Play of the mouse itself to become corrupted? Is that what happened and if so, is it fixable? Though I don't understand then why the second mouse went buggy too then.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

I saw something like this once years ago and I think it was a stuck or bad key on the keyboard believe it or not.

I tried to replicate it in Win7 64 but could not and don't see the incident in any of my old journals or emails :( so this is by no means a definitive response.

If he has another keyboard to try on hand then it is worth a shot to replace the keyboard and see if the problem persists.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users