Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

converting to a dynamic disk?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

I have been reading up on it from microsofts site as well as various places throughout the web. most articles were also a few years old might have been before windows 7 was even released.
from what I understand
you will only really have an issue if you are using windows 98, 2000 , xp and server 2003

also it says if you are using a portable computer then it won't even allow you to convert

from microsoft
"Portable computers and removable media- Dynamic disks are not supported on portable computers, removable disks, detachable disks that use Universal Serial Bus (USB) or IEEE 1394 (also called FireWire) interfaces, or on disks connected to shared SCSI buses. If you are using a portable computer and right-click a disk in the graphical or list view in Disk Management, you will not see the option to convert the disk to dynamic."

What I am trying to do is make a partition but the only way to do it so it seems (I am using the admin disk management tool)is to convert to dynamic.
I am creating the partition to install a small linux distro to use in dual boot but the part that is making me weary is the last step of the disk management tool says

"the operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk(s) to dynamic disc(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk(s)(except the current boot volume. Are you sure you want to continue?"

now I will (hopefully) never have to deal with those headaches called OS's again
and as far as not being able to convert on a portable computer mine is allowing me.... so IDK what the discrepancy there is

I have a HP pavillion DV7
AMD 3600m quad core processor
6 gigs ram
running windows 7 home premium 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users