Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Netbook says connected to wireless, but Internet will not work!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

I have an Acer Netbook that says it is connected to my wireless network, but the Internet will not work. I was using an old Linksys wireless router and it was working fine. I decided to upgrade to an Linksys E3000 and used the same SSID and password with an encryption of WP2. The laptop says it is connected to the wireless network, but internet won't work. I tried winsockXP to reset the settings, also disconnecting from the network, deleting it and then reconnecting. I have another Laptop that is running W7 and has no trouble connecting to the same network. What could be the problem and any advice on how to fix this issue. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

What is the make and model of the Acer Netbook?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

I've seen this. Have you tired connecting it to another wireless access point?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#4 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I solved the problem by using a Edimax EDIMAX EW-7811Un and that connected fine. The only encryption that worked with the Atheros built in card was none and everything else connected, but no internet. Thanks for the help.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for posting the solution :thumbup2:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 WalnutCreek

WalnutCreek

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

When I had this problem, I worked on resolving it for two months. Finally, I went to the Acer support site to see if there was an update for the wireless network driver for my Acer Aspire One . There wasn't one for my AOA 150. So I decided to look at other Acer Aspire One models to see if there was a wireless adaptor driver with a higher version number. I found one, downloaded it to a USB flash drive, then installed it on the Acer. I had nothing to lose since it was useless to me as it was because it would not load Webpages even though a message said I was connected to the Internet. I connected to my wireless network, then held my breath while waiting for IE to load - it loaded and connected to a Webpage. I tried different Webpages and they all loaded. I can't believe I had the audacity to try that, but am glad I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users