Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe using more than 1 MILLION K (1,000,000)!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EastwoodOhio1984

EastwoodOhio1984

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

Hello. I am new to this site in terms of posting, but I have used it in the past many times as everyone is always so helpful! I'm really not sure what's happened this time with my laptop, but here's a brief description and if I can include a screen shot I will (as mentioned, still new to this).

Attached File  svchost_issue01.jpg   97.79KB   11 downloads

I noticed the sound as if my processor was really working, so I checked out the Task Manager processes. I was very surprised to see the 'svchost.exe' process was consuming OVER 1,000,000 K in the Memory Usage! I wathced it for a while and it didn't decrease, so I ended that process. Things seemed fine, but then my Task Bar went from the Windows XP blue look to a Classic Windows sort of theme - the gray color, etc. and it went from being 2 levels high to the default 1 level high (levels so I can see 2 rows of open programs).

Then after about 3 minutes, the same sounds started up - not sounds from the speakers, but like I had tried opening 10 programs at once. Low and behold, the svchost.exe started itself back up.

Another symptom is a beeping every now and then, as if an error or alert box would pop up, but nothing does - only the beep.

I've noticed multiple 'iexplore.exe' processes running at times, even when I haven't yet opened IE8.

When I open IE8 sometimes it starts up with the last session did not close properly - would I like to continue with last sessions or start a new session/page (I can't remember the exact words but it's the typical message like when IE ends or is force closed), but the thing is - IE didn't close improperly!

Lastly, when I tried searching for some kind of assistance on Google, I noticed that I'm being redirected to other searches, not from Google's results. So something may all be connected with this, but there are more symptoms than what I can tackle this time!

I've tried doing a System Restore - didn't help.
I've tried doing a complete scan with AVG - didn't help.
I've tried going to Microsoft's website and used their Complete PC scan tool - it DID find a '2.tmp' file that it said was infected. It removed that, I rebooted as instructed, but it's still doing the same thing. That file was in the following location C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp\2.tmp

Please let me know what else I should include (probably more system information, but I wasn't sure what to include this time).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Edited by hamluis, 27 March 2012 - 07:46 AM.
Moved from XP to Am i Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Following this tutorial: How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process By Lawrence Abrams

Will help you identify the specific process that is causing the load. Then you can trouble shoot that specific item.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 EastwoodOhio1984

EastwoodOhio1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the advice!

I downloaded the Process Explorer - here's a quick shot of the top processes... looks like svchost.exe is giving me a "break" tonight - it's staying in the 850,000's at least (ha!).
Attached File  ProcessExplorer.jpg   285.8KB   10 downloads

I determined the svchost.exe has the following services:
Attached File  ProcessExplorer-svchost.jpg   92.4KB   12 downloads

I'm not sure what to do at this point though?

Edited by EastwoodOhio1984, 26 March 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#4 EastwoodOhio1984

EastwoodOhio1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Following this tutorial: How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process By Lawrence Abrams

Will help you identify the specific process that is causing the load. Then you can trouble shoot that specific item.

Hi Animal,

Please see my other replies. Do you think I should open a topic in the Malware Removal section instead? I'm having issues with the Google redirect as mentioned in my first post.

Thanks!

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hello.

You're infected; we need to take care of that first as it is very likely the root cause of this issue as well.

Please follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#6 EastwoodOhio1984

EastwoodOhio1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Thanks Blade! I'll take a look at the guide and do what you've instructed. Appreciate the help!

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

Glad to be of help :)

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#8 svchostproblems

svchostproblems

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

I made an account to get the message out since I haven't seen this anywhere else. This problem has frustrated me for weeks and I solved it today. Open Task Manager. Under Processes, right-click the problem svchost.exe. Click Go To Services. This will show which programs are using that particular manifestation of svchost.exe. It could be different each time, I don't know yet, but the first time, this fixed it, I stopped service for Windows Update. svchost.exe immediately went from 1300000 K to 120000 K. I've only tried it once, but it worked. Good luck everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users