Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't save the HOST files to restore Windows defaults

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 loulahlah

loulahlah

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hi, I have Windows 7 and I got the Security Shield virus on my computer. I followed the instructions on this site, Automated Removal Instructions for Security Shield 2012 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. At step 18 of the instructions, I deleted the HOSTS file as described, however when I try to save the replacement from the list of links available in the place described I get to Window\System32\ then I don't have a folder named 'Drivers' with a capital to select, I only have a folder named 'drivers' in lower case, when I select that folder, I then don't have the 'etc' folder to choose. Not sure what I did wrong? How can I fix this?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

Probably its hidden

Press WIndows+R key and type

%windir%\system32\drivers\etc

Click ok,see if that takes you to the folder

#3 loulahlah

loulahlah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

Hi Forum Addict, I tried your suggestion and I found the folder, so yes it was hidden. Thank you :)

I followed the instructions from the help file to show the hidden files, went to Folder options and under the General tab, ticked Show all folders and under the View tab, checked Show hidden files, folders, or drives. So now when I navigate to the etc folder I previously could not see, I can now find it. However, when I right click on the link in the instructions I was following as explained in my previous post, the etc folder is still not showing. So in the Save As view of the folders it is still hidden. Any suggestions on how I un-hide the folder as seen in the Save As box?

#4 loulahlah

loulahlah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

oh sorry, just realised I misread your user name, narenxp. I have not used forums before so this is all very new.

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

Click on startmenu and type

cmd

right click on command prompt,select run as administrator

Now run these commands

cd windows\System32\drivers
attrib -s -h -r etc

etc folder should be visible now

Now if you want to edit your hosts file ,run these commands

cd windows\System32\drivers\etc
takeown /a /f hosts
cacls hosts /p everyone:f
notepad hosts

A notepad should pop up,if you find any unwanted entries ,remove it and press CTRL+S

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 27 March 2012 - 01:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users