Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8-Core AMD, a little disappointed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 enlivenit

enlivenit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:41 AM

Hello all! I just have a quick question about the new AMD FX 8-core processors.
I'm hosting a DNSBL (DNS Blacklist) server for www.mailer.mobi and for a server
I'm finding the CPU more than adequate. It runs all of the server processors ok,
but for normal desktop stuff it just feels a little slow. I'm comparing it (a
3.2 GHz 8-Core AMD) to my lappy which is an Intel Core-i7 1.8 GHz. The laptop
feels significantly faster. It's strange. Has anyone else had similar experiences
with the AMD CPU's? Is there anything I need to do to configure it better?
Many thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

What sever operating system are you using? How much ram do you have?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

On a core by core basis the i7 is much faster than the FX chip. In almost every review I have seen the FX chips match up best with the i5 chips so I would expect the i7 to be faster in everyday computing. Also keep in mind more cores only means faster when you have enough program threads running to take advantage of all of the cores. Standard desktops and software are usually only lightly multi-threaded at best. Leveraging more than four cores on a desktop is the exception rather than the rule. The server can be extremely multi-threaded due to all of the different services it can be providing so it will leverage the full potential of the FX chip.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

A slightly longer explanation :P If the program your running only recognizes one core then it will only run at the clock speed of the single core. Also depending on the exact model of the Processor, the Architecture can dramatically affect performance when the OS or Program only utilizes one physical core. Onboard cache, multi processor visualization, memory controller, how the processor moves data etc. Also they system components will effect performance as well. A server usually has no need for a high end graphics card so playing games or using multimedia apps are processed more with the CPU and onboard memory I have the Phenom II 1100 6 core with 4gb of ram and an Nvidia 9800 video card with dual monitors and A core i3 M350 laptop with 4gb of ram and an ATI mobility HD5470 Both run Windows 7 the laptop had Home premium the Office has Professional . Running Microsoft Office 2101 the computers are identical, however encoding a movie or using Adobe Creative suite the Phenom wins hands down (It also boots 3 times faster)

Your i7
Which could be this model
Core i7-840QM
  • SLBMP (B1) 1.87 GHz 2/2/8/10 4 4 × 256 KB 8 MB DMI 14× 2 × DDR3-1333 0.65–1.4 V 45 W Socket G1
VS The Amd

AMD FX-8120 8 3.1GHz 4.0GHz 2.2GHz 8MB 95W/125W

AMD Turbo CORE Technology

New Instruction Capabilities
  • AVX
    • Advanced Vector Extensions increase parallelism tailored for scientific and 3D applications that use heavy floating point calculations
  • FMA4 and XOP
    • Floating Point Vector Multiply -Accumulate improves throughput and performance on many vector functions (integer and floating point)
  • AES
    • Advanced Encryption Standard noticeably increase performance on the latest encryption applications like TrueCrypt and benchmarks like PCMark
AMD Balanced Smart Cache
  • Shared L3 cache ( up to 8MB)
  • Improved scheduling and pre-fetch capabilities
  • 64-ways (16-ways/sub-cache)
  • Increased data queue sizes
  • Coherency for 8-cores
AMD Wide Floating Point Accelerator
  • Shared FP Scheduler
  • Dual 128-bit Floating point engines – capable of teaming together for 256-bit AVX instructions or operating separately with each core.
HyperTransport™ Technology
  • One 16-bit link at up to 5600MT/s
  • Up to 8.0GB/s HyperTransport™ I/O bandwidth; Up to 16GB/s in HyperTransport Generation 3.0 mode
  • Up to 37GB/s total delivered processor-to-system bandwidth (HyperTransport bus + memory bus)
Benefit: Quick access times to system I/O for better performance.

Integrated DRAM Controller with AMD Memory Optimizer Technology
  • A high-bandwidth, low-latency integrated memory controller
  • Supports up to DDR3-18662
  • Supports new low voltage memories of 1.35V and 1.2V
  • Up to 29.9GB/s memory bandwidth for DDR3
  • New Pre-Fetcher improvements
  • Direct communications to each core in Dual-Core module (APIC registers in each core)
Benefit: Optimized memory controller to feed more cores

AMD Virtualization™ (AMD-V™) Technology with IOMMU
  • Silicon feature-set enhancements designed to improve the performance, reliability, and security of existing and future virtualization environments by allowing virtualized applications with direct and rapid access to their allocated memory.
  • IOMMU is an extension to AMD64 architecture to support address translation and access protection on DMA transfers
  • Security for User Level application and Virtual Machine guest operating system
  • Address translation and access control
  • Device isolation
  • Device assignment in virtualized systems
  • Security & trusted boot support
  • Unified interrupt management
[/list] Benefit: Helps virtualization software to run more securely and efficiently enabling a better experience when dealing with virtual systems

AMD PowerNow!™ Technology (Cool'n'Quiet™ Technology)
  • Enhanced power management features which automatically and instantaneously adjusts performance states and features based on processor performance requirements
  • C6 power state for cache flush, and voltage down individual core
  • CC6 power state allows all cores in C6 to power even lower
    • For quieter operation and reduced power requirements
  • Separate memory controller power control
  • IO-based c-state interface
  • Works automatically without the need for drivers or BIOS enablement.
  • Power can be switched on or off within a single clock cycle, saving energy with no impact to performance.
Benefit: Helps users get more efficient performance by dynamically activating or turning off parts of the processor.

• AMD's product warranty does not cover damage caused by overclocking (even when overclocking is enabled via AMD OverDrive™ software).
  • 1866 supported with 1 DPC (DIMM per Channel) in single memory slot motherboard designs

Credit: Specs were reprinted from other sources found on the Web

Edited by Sneakycyber, 25 March 2012 - 10:27 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users