Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are there ever too many anti-malware programs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Riverwnn

Riverwnn

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hello, as far as I know my computer has not been infected recently. But I had a really bad infection back in 2007, Norton was corrupted and everything. I am afraid of it being re-infected. I practice the safe tips suggested in one of the sticky posts at the top of this forum. Right now, I have Avira, Spybot Search and Destroy, and MAMB. I try to run these programs once a week.

I know this seems like overkill and paranoia, but I am a writer and my computer is really important. I just want to keep him safe and well. I've considered downloading SuperAntiSpyware to add to my arsenal. Is this an easy to use for the semi-informed geek? Or do I have enough protection already?

Thanks in advance. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:41 PM

Get rid of Spybot and download SuperAntiSpyware. Between Avira, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware you should be good. Make sure you update before you run them...

Edited by jburd1800, 24 March 2012 - 10:42 PM.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. This gives you another tool to use as a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled.

FYI: mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products). Further, most people don't understand how to use Spybot's TeaTimer and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth. TeaTimer monitors changes to certain critical keys in Windows registry but does not indicate if the change is normal or a modification made by a malware infection. The user must have an understanding of the registry and how TeaTimer works in order to make informed decisions to allow or deny the detected changes. If you don't have understanding how a particular security tool works, then you probably should not be using it. Additionally, TeaTimer may conflict with other security tools which do a much better job of protecting your computer and in some cases it will even prevent disinfection of malware by those tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Riverwnn

Riverwnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thank you for the advise. I removed Spybot and installed Super Anti-Spyware. It actually found five Trojan.Agent/traces that MBAM didn't pick up, plus tons of cookies.

Is there anything else I should know? Any other programs?

Thank you so much!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Riverwnn

Riverwnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thank you!

Bookmarking these for future reference. :)

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:08 AM

You're welcome.