Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Hard Drive Failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FloridaKeith

FloridaKeith

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

HP Pavilion desktop a1700n, Windows XP SP3 When I went to start up the computer went to the Windows XP screen with the startup bar scolling across the screen. I then got a message that there was a problem with the Hard drive and that it would be repaired. (By an HP program I guess) After clicking the repair button I got the message that the repair could not be done. Under details the only thing I recognized was "Corrupt Volume D" Clicked OK to restart and on start up I got the message that "no boot drive available" I then restart the machine manually and went to BIOS. The HDD is no longer listed. I then removed the drive from the computer and hooked it up with a USB adapter to two different computers. Neither is able to recognize drive. The drive is spinning and is very quiet actually for its age but nothing will recognize it. HDD is a Samsung SP2504C. Any Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

... hooked it up with a USB adapter to two different computers

Connect the ailing hard drive directly to the motherboard of a working computer using a SATA data cable and a power cable.
  • Do away with the external USB connection/adapter, which is not an ideal means of connecting a problematic hard drive.
Is the ailing hard drive recognised in BIOS then?
  • If the hard drive is not recognised in BIOS, it can be considered dead.
  • If the hard drive is recognised in BIOS ... then there is hope.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 FloridaKeith

FloridaKeith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

ok Tried it on another computer, nothing. Dead. Thanks Austra

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:59 AM

No worries. That's pretty conclusive.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users