Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gcatkids

gcatkids

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

On start up a black and white gateway screen flashes followed by a startup Repair window. This gives me a pop up that says Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. There is the option of sending the information to microsoft or viewing problem details.

When looking at the details,

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature 03: unknown

Problem Signature 04: 21200290

Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06: 11

Problem Signature 07: CorruptFile

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Underneath the pop up box, The startup Repair window says WIndows cannot repair this computer automatically

with the option of viewing diagmostic repair details or viewing advanced options for system recovery and support

Under the advanced options, I have tried the startup repair, the system restore, the command prompt chkdsk/f/r

None of which have worked

Prior to this the notebook was working fine last night, I did not install anything

I ran the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
Mod Edit: Removed FRST data, this is a malware tool not permitted in this forum and you have made no indication that this is a malware situation ~ Hamluis.

Please Please Please Help

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2012 - 11:01 AM.
Edited post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gcatkids

gcatkids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

HI, I see that the post was edited. Are there any suggestions on what to do next? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

As a start...I would run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic available for my hard drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

If the O/S has issues that the Windows tool cannot overcome...they may be the result of a failing hard drive. I like to eliminate the HD as quickly as possible...before even contemplating further work.

Louis

#4 gcatkids

gcatkids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hello again.
I went to the site that you recommended above but am not sure how to proceed as the different options for testing the hard drive indicates the need to create a bootable CD or diskette. Since my netbook can't utilize either of these, I tried to download the test to a flash drive but am not sure how to access the test as the the netbook immediately enters the start up repair process. I spent an awful lot of time checking out the user's guides for the tests that didn't need a CD or diskette but could not find any information on how to run the test any other way. Am I missing something?, or is there another link that could help to walk me through it? Thanks, Thanks, and more Thanks!!!!

Edited by gcatkids, 27 March 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

Who is your hard drive manufacturer?

You can discern this by a physical look at the drive itself.

Louis

#6 gcatkids

gcatkids
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hi. I looked into this. I was too chicken to open the back of the netbook to figure it out :-(,(definately not that savy) so I contacted the company of my netbook and was told the hard drive is made by Toshiba and is 250 GB 5400 RPM SATA. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I appreciate your help.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

Following link is for diagnostic tools for Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drives: http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities

Of the three utilities presented as diagnostic tools, the DOS Diagnostic Tool Ver. 7.0 (For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives)
ZIPfjdt_700.zip [62KB] seems to be the one you want. It runs from a bootable floppy or CD and is not impacted by whether your system boots or not.

I can't help you with how to use a flash drive...I don't use such...but many others here do and will be able to assist you with that.

Louis

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

You could give this a try. There's a good chance that Seagate for DOS will work on your drive.

Create a bootable USB Flash Drive to run Seagate Diagnostics for DOS:
(Note: I tested this by creating the bootable USB Flash drive on a Windows 7 computer and tested it on a netbook running Win XP with a Fujitsu hard drive and it worked for me)

Follow the procedure at this Link: http://www.megaleecher.net/Seagate_SeaTools_For_DOS_Bootable_USB_Maker_Kit to make the bootable Flash drive.
  • Set netbook to boot from USB drive first. (Usually press an "F" Key for a boot menu)
  • Accept the Seagate License Agreement.
  • Wait for program to find your hard drive.
  • Click on "Basic Tests" from top menu. Run Short Test and then Long Test. Both tests should "Pass." A "Fail" in either test would indicate a failing hard drive.
  • Click "Exit" on top menu to restart computer.

Edited by Artrooks, 28 March 2012 - 07:29 AM.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users